cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Europe

Max8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello ! I am going to Europe for a year so i will take a new sim card in Europe. But i dont know how it works because i dont want to lose my Phone number in canada for when i get back here and i dont want to pay for the time that i wont be using it !  Thank you 🙂 

11 REPLIES 11

Max8

Ok perfect thanl you very much:) 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Max8 

That depends on how much you think you will need your pm service between your home and the airport before departure and vice versa. If you leave your pm sim card with someone you trust for safekeeping then while you are away during the periods that you have to reactivate your service for 30 days if you want your pm calls call forwarded to your voip phone number (ie. textnow or fongo) so you can use your pm service while active then you can have them do that for you or if you need a verification code text they will be able to recieve it for you and give it to you. Once you leave Canada having the pm sim card with you renders it useless til you arrive back home.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Max8

Hello ! So i will do this but what should i do with my sim card leave my sim card here in Canada or bring with me in Europe and when i arrive i switch over with a new sim card in Europe ? 

Thank you ! 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

- Downgrade your plan to $15

- Remove autopay

- On next renewal your plan will be suspended due to no payment

- At around 85th day, log in an pay manually for the next month and restart service if it does not get restarted automaticlly

- You will be OK for the next 85 days when you would have to repeat this exercise again

After 90 days of no payment your account will be deleted and number lost.

That's true @softech , however they'll lose their Public Mobile account and whatever 'old reward system' benefits they may have accrued.

@Max8 , in making this choice, it's important to know whether you also wish to retain your Public Mobile account, or simply just the associated number.

Lots of good options have been presented here.   Choose wisely!!  😀

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Max8 

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your fongo number before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 89. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account.

The cost to maintain your account and phone number for about one year (350 days or so) is $45 (3×$15 plan) - $6 (3×$2 autopay reward+any other rewards you may have)=$39. This represents suspending for approximately 90 days+reactivating for 30 days and suspending again for 90 days and so on.... Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Max8 If you are going to Europe for a year, the easiest and cheapest way is to port your phone number into a VoIP provider.  One good choice is Fongo

There is only a $25 port in fee for Fongo.  It is free to port out after  3 months. 

Once the number is ported into Fongo , you can still use the phone number on Fongo app.  Your friends can still reach you on the same number and you can use it to call back Canada for free  

When you are back in Canada, you can then choose a provider and start and account and port the number to that Mobile provider

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Max8 

Another, perhaps less involved, way to deal with this is to simply let someone you know use your public mobile SIM card while you are away.

Perhaps a trusted relative/friend who may need cell phone plan can keep the number active on the $15 or $25 plan while you're away.

And you can always keep tabs on the account by logging in once in awhile while away.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Max8 - 

Allow to suspend your account for nonpay, or list your phone in Lost/Stolen status (to stop payments from being taken out): https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/lost-or-stolen-phone

Reactivate, on cheapest plan $15, before the 90 days:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/reactivate-a-suspended-plan

Rinse and Repeat.

Ensure to keep your calendar reminders to reactive and keep connected with your self serve account for important dates: 

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

Safe travels.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Max8  You'll have to pay a bit but here is what you can do to minimize those fees.

Example below is of you're leaving for example tomorrow. You can adjust the option based on when you're leaving.

Log into account and click change plan. Select the $15 plan.  Be sure to select change at next renewal.

Before leaving to Europe. Log into your account and remove the credit card on file if you have one.

When the system goes to charge your card for the payment it will not be able to collect the money. This will result in your account going to suspended status.

Your account can stay in suspended status for 90 days before the account is deleted and number is gone. So it's VERY important to set a reminder on your phone or email or wtv that will remind you to log in. Set reminder for 85 days

You'll then log in and make a payment of $15 to bring your account in good standing again and active. Plans are 30 days so your account will be active again for 30 days and then for renewal time. The system will not be able to collect the money again resulting in your account being placed back to suspended status. Now set a reminder again for 85 days. 

Repeat process for the year of logging in on 85 day mark to make a payment for the lowest plan to bring your account to good standing so your account is not closed and number lost.

Need Help? Let's chat.