cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going out of country how do I pause my plan?

SaadRehman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be out of Canada for over 6 months and will be using a different sim during that period. I don't want to keep paying for Public but at the same time I don't want this plan to be cancelled. Can I pause it till I'm back in Canada? If so, how do I go about it?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

SaadRehman

Thanks for the help everyone. Stay safe!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SaadRehman 

It's what I call a dormant account. You don't pay every three months...you pay every four months. (technically days 🙂 )

So you renew...it's active for 30 days (~a month)...then you don't renew...it suspends for 90 days (~3 months)...then it deactivates. That's ~4 months.

So...renew...let it be active even though unused...it suspends without paying after 30 days...85 days later renew again.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@SaadRehman wrote:

I will be out of Canada for over 6 months and will be using a different sim during that period. I don't want to keep paying for Public but at the same time I don't want this plan to be cancelled. Can I pause it till I'm back in Canada? If so, how do I go about it?

Thanks

@SaadRehman  You can only pause it 90 days at a time. So you will have to activate the plan once while you are away. If you don't have funds in your account just before you leave disable AutoPay. During your next plan renewal your account will go into suspension. From that point you have 90 days to re-activate your plan otherwise you account will close and you will lose your number. My recommendation would be on day 85 to re-activate your plan (or you can even change to the $15 plan if your existing plan is not grandfathered). Once you plan is re-activated then disable AutoPay again and let your account go into suspension after the 30 days have expired. If you are still going to be away during then next 90 days after you account has gone to suspension then re-activate your plan by enabling AutoPay one more time. That way your plan will be active a soon as you get back.

So you can retain your account and number for $15 if you change plans for ~ 210 days/7 months.

@SaadRehman What @gpixel said above. Plus when the account is terminated after 90 days, you will need a new sim ($10) and I don't believe you will be able to register an account with the same email address.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SaadRehman wrote:

That seems like a good alternative but now I'm considering cancelling it instead if I'm still going to have to unnecessarily pay every 3 months. If I do cancel, could you help me out with what the consequences would be? i.e. besides losing my number.

@SaadRehman no consequences just remove your credit card and you will be good to go happy travels stay safe!!

@SaadRehman you will also lose the account associated with the number and the rewards you've accumulated

SaadRehman

That seems like a good alternative but now I'm considering cancelling it instead if I'm still going to have to unnecessarily pay every 3 months. If I do cancel, could you help me out with what the consequences would be? i.e. besides losing my number.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@SaadRehman  Drop your plan to the $15 one if not already on it. Turn off/remove autopay and at the next renewal your plan will stop for lack of payment. Before 90 days are up (85 ish) go into your account and pay/deposit the necessary funds to renew your account . Do not restart autopay. When it has been restarted it will expire again after 30 days. You will then have another 90 days to do the same thing. You'll get 6 months out of this easily for a total cost of $15. There is no way to suspend the account for more than 90 days without making a payment.

Need Help? Let's chat.