Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting group text messages separately

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi everyone, 

I have a samsung galaxy s9. 

I am currently on a little text message group chat. Everytime someone sends a text to the group I end up getting the text initially on seperate text as if they were sending to me only and then I have to open their message and click on download every single time then it disappears form that text message and goes into the group text message. 

I did go into settings and turn on group conversation. But it still does the same thing. 

Anyone else experience this?

17 REPLIES 17

WDM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the same problem with my HUAWEI phone. The key point is turning on the data. Truning on the data, then the problem will dispear. 

stevenanto

@srlawren @LeePublic 

I believe that you are correct. Some people in the group do have iphones and we are 8 in the group. It just gets annoying that I have to click on the individual person and then click download and then it goes into group chat

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LeePublic wrote:

Make sure the people texting are replying to the group, not individual texts? Is everyone using Android? iPhone? Sometimes text message groups may be created through iMessage, so maybe some people are replying through Apple Messages? Make sure everyone in your group is replying through "green" bubbles, aka SMS.

@stevenanto I think that @LeePublic is on to something here.  I was recently in a group chat started by a friend on his iPhone.  I believe most people in the chat are also iPeeps.  In any event, I got all the messages that he sent out (he was sending updates to a group of us about something going on), and I know from chatting separately from another person in the group that the rest of them were replying and seeing each others' replies, while all I saw were the messages from the originator and nobody else's replies.  On my end, it appears like a regular SMS one-on-one chat with that individual rather than an MMS group chat, even though I have Google Messages set up correctly and have successfully participated in other group texting chat there (even with a lot of the same individuals) without this issue.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

stevenanto

@softech yes I did that

@stevenanto   you checked this already?

Open your messaging app, go to its settings and look for an option for group messaging. Make sure it's set for MMS (group messaging) rather than individual SMS messages.

Also, if you're getting messages that say "Tap to Download," it usually means there's a problem with mobile data. Make sure your mobile data is turned on. If it is and you're still having trouble, check your APN settings and make sure they're correct for your carrier.

stevenanto

@softech I am using the regular messenger app that came with the phone. 

@stevenanto  are you using Samsung stock messenger app or others?

If you have been using Samsung app, you might try another one (maybe Google messages) and see if you still have the same issue

stevenanto

galaxy s9

@stevenanto wrote:

@esjliv I cant get to the same options as your screenshot, mine seems to be different

@stevenanto 

What model phone do you have?

stevenanto

@esjliv I cant get to the same options as your screenshot, mine seems to be different

stevenanto

@Anonymous I am going to try this now and see what it gives

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@stevenanto wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I have a samsung galaxy s9. 

I am currently on a little text message group chat. Everytime someone sends a text to the group I end up getting the text initially on seperate text as if they were sending to me only and then I have to open their message and click on download every single time then it disappears form that text message and goes into the group text message. 

I did go into settings and turn on group conversation. But it still does the same thing. 

Anyone else experience this?

@stevenanto 

Ensure your settings are set like this:

esjliv_2-1630627938256.png

If the other people in the group do not have the same settings, that may break up the group messages from their end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevenanto 

1. Open Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Tap on More settings at the upper right (three-dot icon).
  4. Select Show system apps.
  5. Find and tap your app.
  6. Tap Storage.
  7. Tap Clear Data button.
  8. Restart your S9 and check for the problem.

This is an important troubleshooting step for this issue. Make sure to do it as a follow-up should nothing change after reverting all app settings.

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
  3. Tap RESET SETTINGS.

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

update @stevenanto ,  maybe that video Here link, is will help...

stevenanto

Hi, I have already tried that as well

softech
Oracle
Oracle

did you try restart your phone?

Also, try to delete the problematic group text, restart phone and see if you still get the same thing for new group text

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevenanto 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and clear cache at app...

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Make sure the people texting are replying to the group, not individual texts? Is everyone using Android? iPhone? Sometimes text message groups may be created through iMessage, so maybe some people are replying through Apple Messages? Make sure everyone in your group is replying through "green" bubbles, aka SMS.

Need Help? Let's chat.