cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Public Mobile Line

baskavin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m currently with Virgin Mobile and want to move to Public, but I’m not sure how good the service is compared to Virgin. So is it possible to get a public line, test it out for a few days, and then port my number in? Like if I do that would there be any extra fees for not porting in when I activated the line?

7 REPLIES 7

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It really is a no brainer in all honesty.

You are approaching it in a rational, methodological manner, which is good...but you will probably end up diving in to the PM pool.

dna2016

Hi @baskavin,

First, Public Mobile is part of the Telus family, which means it utilizes the Telus network (i.e. cell towers), so regarding service it should be comparable, if not better, than Virgin Mobile's network.  Telus is one of the Big 3 Telecommunications companies in Canada, and from last report I read it's 2nd in line to Rogers:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-telecom-providers-in-canada.html

So I'd say network wise you should be fine.

Second, good thing about Public Mobile is that it's a prepaid service platform, so there are no additional fees, contracts, credit checks, activation fees, deposits, port fees, etc..  So you can activate a new account with a random number, and if you like it then port your current number over later. 

Please keep in mind there are no refunds if you don't like the service, i.e. you'd need to buy a SIM card, and you'll need to put money on your account during activation in order to get your service active (this is your first months service cost, so depends which plan you choose).  If you want to save a little for your 1st month, you can do the $10 plan, with the $10 Canada data add on. Or just look out for current promos at Walmart, London Drugs as @mimmo mentioned, or check this community page when PM makes promo announcements.

You can definitely try out the Public Mobile service before deciding on whether to port your number in.  You will need to pay whatever the cost of at least a 30 day plan is plus the cost of a sim card.  If you do decide to bring your number over to Public Mobile, you can continue to use the plan that you have already paid for.  Keep in mind that if you change your plan before the billing cycle is over, you will lose whatever you paid for the plan.  You can avoid that by future-dating a plan change so that it takes effect at the start of the next billing cycle as long as you're fine with continuing with the plan that your originally selected for the duration of the bill cycle.

Watoko

Switched over my girlfriend from Virgin to Public a couple days ago. Number transfer process was smooth and she has no issues with her data and call quality.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@baskavin wrote:

I’m currently with Virgin Mobile and want to move to Public, but I’m not sure how good the service is compared to Virgin. So is it possible to get a public line, test it out for a few days, and then port my number in? Like if I do that would there be any extra fees for not porting in when I activated the line?

Yes you can purchase a sim online or at Walmart, WOW mobile K MObile, or london drugs and pick a 30 day plan with a new the Telus network and with Virgin being part of Bell I am sure you will see the same reception service as Virgin.  No extra fees for not porting a number

ETA:  @mimmo, beat me and this is one of those times I talked about in another thread typing a response get distracted by a squirrel and forget to hit enter lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome To Public Mobile

PLANS

No contracts. No credit checks. No surprise bills. Just bring your own phone. Enjoy any of our plans on Canada’s largest mobile network.

And you can see all PLANS >>

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

and you want to Switch to Public Mobile >>

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Awesome Network And Service Amazing

Good Luck 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Its Its perfectly fine to do that.  Get a new number then port whenever you like .  The service is the same as Telus/bell. The difference is the customer support model. Ie online only noone to call. 

Glad you are doing your homework.  There are some Walmart London drugs promos currently giving you a free sim and 25$ credit.  If you have a friend on pm and use them as a referral you can get an extra $10 bonus.

Need Help? Let's chat.