cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s21

Brianrap
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy s21 Ultra and a couple of weeks ago it suddenly dropped my connection. Tried everything imaginable to get it back-up to and including a factory reset-but no luck. The sim works in other phones so it it not a sim issue. Tried my sim in a Galaxy s10 and it worked fine. Sims from other networks (both Bell and Telus) work in my phone. Took my phone to a Samsung approved warranty repair location and they replaced the main board. Didn't do anything to resolve the problem so had to send the phone to Samsung in Ontario (I am in Manitoba) for them to check it out. I was just talking to a fellow who also has an s21 and he is experiencing the exact same issue. To me it sounds like it might be a network issue of some kind and specific to Galaxy s21 phones. Has anyone heard of or experienced anything like this? Thanks.

72 REPLIES 72

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Brianrap 

Yes I was musing about that it could connect to the bell/telus network with their sim cards but can't to the same network with the pm sim card. Thats why I brought up the reprovisioning of the sim card.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Brianrap 

I found some interesting troubleshooting tips here that your friend might want to look into....

https://www.technobezz.com/restore-galaxy-null-imei-and-fix-not-registered-on-network/

Also this answer in the Samsung community was the fix for a user with a similar problem.

I figured it out. Apparently the unlocked phone doesn't have Network management for carriers like the carrier branded phones.I returned my unlocked s21 ultra and bought a Verizon branded s21 ultra and it gets better service than my note 20 ultra now.

Did the issue occur after installing the OneUI 4 update?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Brianrap

Was not able to connect.

Brianrap

Thanks very much. Will definitely do that if Samsung doesn't remedy the issue.

@Brianrap   When you get the phone back, let's hope the issue is resolved.  If it happens again, remember to open ticket with PM Support, have them to track if they have block the phone for whatever reason.

Keep us posted

Brianrap

The only sim I tried before the motherboard replacement was my wife's sim, which is also PM. It did not work-same no connection issue. Then threw my PM sim in her phone and it worked fine. No beta android OS. Only the regular updates thru Samsung and no recent updates prior to the problem arising.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Brianrap 

Before the motherboard was replaced did the bell and telus sim cards work on the phone? If you get your friend to get their account reset and sim card reprovisioned that rules out that issue. If you didn't do that then you will never know if that was the issue. It seems that either the sim card is having trouble communicating to your account from the device or the device communicating thru the sim card to the account. It can communicate to the network no problem.

Lol...you didn't install a Samsung beta Android OS update did you?

Brianrap

Yes it has been sent. When I was talking to Samsung about the issue they wanted it sent in and sent me a postage paid FedEx label. The repair shop here in Winnipeg tested it on Telus and Bell networks after they replaced the motherboard and it worked fine on both. Threw my sim in while at the warranty repair depot and it would not connect. They had no idea why.

@Brianrap   You already sent the phone in to Toronto, right?

another question, did you put a Telus or Koodo SIM in that phone?

Brianrap

But both the old sim and the new sim worked just fine in three other phones. It is only when put into my s21 that they would not connect. When I put my old sim in the loaner phone from the repair center it was immediately recognized. Tried the sim in my wife's phone and it worked fine. Bought an older phone to use while mine was sent to Samsung and again the sim is working perfectly.

@darlicious 

OP actual no problem putting his SIM on another phone.  So, it is very likely a  device issue

Yes, I know the 3G is not the reason anyway, as OP has issue with LTE, too

I just wondering if PM somehow blacklisted the IMEI on its own database (maybe by mistake or a glitch somewhere?  but if that is the case, it must be within PM DB as OP can use it elsewhere. I know he tried different carriers, not sure if it includes Telus/Koodo) 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Brianrap 

So you got a new sim card and performed a sim swap in your self serve account? With the same result? At any time did you contact customer support? The brief message you recieved about the sim not supported indicates a provisioning issue since your phone connects to telus and bell no problem. The problem is not a device issue from the evidence presented but a sim card issue. While you wait to get your phone back tell your friend with the same issue to contact customer support and ask for their account to be reset and their sim card reprovisioned and see if that fixes the problem.

@softech 

Just a reminder about the "Manitoba" issue from @sheytoon :

Telus doesn't have 3G B5 (850 MHz). Which means phone calls on PM must use 3G B2 (1900 MHz).

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HALIMACS 

of course i like to learning more and more,

because that issue i facing with iphone 11 and when i go to Apple store they take that device within 20 min the give me brand new one and free under warranty.

but samsung i'm not useing that brand anymore but what i know about samsung the do repair in same device i don't like to do that if i buy it brand new device and has a issue the manufacturer has to be to do exchanged not repair....i hope them will do exchanged..

@softech wrote:

@HALIMACS   Yes, I always want to know what happened and how it got resolved (nosey).. not sure other members, some just want to reply  🙂

I'm certain @VIP_Tech also wants to know for learning purposes, right @VIP_Tech  ?

@HALIMACS   Yes, I always want to know what happened and how it got resolved (nosey).. not sure other members, some just want to reply  🙂

Please do report back what happened, I'm sure @softech &  @VIP_Tech  would also like to know if/what was the resolution.

Brianrap

Thanks very much. Will do that once I get the phone back from Samsung if they haven't resolved the issue.

Brianrap

Worked on both Bell and Telus

@Brianrap    I'd say you ask Public Mobile Customer Support agents to push this through to their technical support group within TELUS.

What you're describing shouldn't be something which should limit your ability to receive Public Mobile services.

Perhaps they may be able to explain the lost connectivity to their network.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@Brianrap   when you tried other network, you tried Telus or Koodo, too? 

Brianrap

It is the Canadian model and was working fine. Out of the blue it stopped connecting to PM but work fine on other carrier networks.

Brianrap

That is correct. Tried every network option and still nothing.

Brianrap

No could not connect. Tried all the network option and nothing.

@Brianrap   I am not sure if you answered it.. were you able to connect to LTE for Data?

Right… the Manitoba thing from awhile back. 👍

Brianrap

It is odd. Even the guys at the repair shop had never heard of it and couldn't figure it out.

@HALIMACS   If OP issue is could not connect using 3G, it is normal.  It is Manitoba,  Winnipeg  area.  Telus does not have 3G network there anymore

but I thought OP issue is he is not connecting to any network at all, neither 3G nor LTE

@Brianrap 

So your device couldn’t connect when using 3G-only network?

Hmmmm?  That’s odd.

@Brianrap   You already send the phone in for service?  Let see what they say.

But the S21 my family using is working well and great.  I don't see many people complains about S21 either

Your is a S21 from Canada? or from another market?

Brianrap

Thanks for the input. That is what I was thinking (hoping) that might be the problem. It is under warranty so fingers crossed that's all it is. Should be a quick/easy fix if that is the case.

Need Help? Let's chat.