cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding calls to U.S.

JohnEleven
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an Android phone on the Public Mobile network (Canada) which allows me to forward the phone calls to another phone. If I select this option and I remove the sim card will calls still be forwarded?
Specifically, what I would like to do is:
Buy U.S. calling Add On from Public mobile.
Forward my phone to my U.S. number (inactive)
Remove Public Mobile SIM card from my phone
While in US put my US Sim card in same phone.
So when someone calls my Canadian Public Mobile number, will the call go through?

14 REPLIES 14

JohnEleven

Got it, thanks for underlining the fact that Textnow doesn't use a sim card here in Canada. Being in proximity to Wifi or using data works for me in this regard. Thanks again.

No it doesn't work that way. The Textnow option is an app in your phone that needs the internet (wifi or cell data). They do have a sim option only available in the states though.

JohnEleven

Quite the learning curve here, another option/sim card I've never heard of.   After a quick review of the travel Esim Web sites it would appear to me that it's pretty pricey (Relatively speaking to PM & Mint or U.S. mobile). My current phone does not support Esim however when I purchase my new phone, it will have double Esim card capability, but I'm gonna have to save up a few Bucks before that happens. Thanks for the info, another possible solution.

JohnEleven

I'm not sure that I understand your comment yummy, it seems to me that forwarding my PM phone to the Textnow  option would work if I then removed my PM sim card and installed the Textnow sim card, then forwarded Textnow to my US my phone, removed my Textnow sim card and then installed my US Sim card?  Whew!!

Why? What is the make and model of your current phone? But a new phone won't change the forwarding facts.

Adding - and there are many cell providers in the states that use sim cards, not just esim.

JohnEleven

Excellent, as I said to dust2dust it's almost enough to make me run out and buy a new phone. Thank you.

hi @JohnEleven 

email?

so, you need to use roaming now?

what phone you have? if you have an eSIM compatible phone, you can use travel esim

JohnEleven

Many thanks dust2dust, this information is almost enough to make me run out and buy a new phone.

JohnEleven

Thanks hTideGnow for the email, I'm not quite sure why it's not posted here but I'm new to this community message board and a lot of things seem strange. My response was:

Interesting, Never heard of them but I would have to replace my sim card with their sim card and unfortunately
Incompat1.jpg
But I'll keep it in mind as I'm due for a new phone soon.
Thanks 
John A.

@hTideGnow wrote:

you have Wifi or Mobile data. 

How is he to have 'mobile data' without SIM? I do not consider WiFi to be 'mobile data'...

If he is to have mobile data that would mean to have PM SIM with US add-on or Can+US plan. Or just get USA SIM for calls/data...

The voip app is an entirely decent workaround. Leave the sim behind though. Or turn it off.

JohnEleven

Sorry to hear, I kinda knew it was too good to be true. Thanks for the sad news.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You had added to a previous thread earlier and some replies were given.
You can't forward calls to a US number.

Adding - https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Call-forwarding-set-inside-Canada-but-bro...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @JohnEleven 

an easier way and FREE is to get a voip app TextNow

forward your PM calls using unconditional forward to the TextNow phone number.  Remove the PM sim card before you enter US

Then when you are in US, your phone has TextNow, it will ring on the app whenever you have Wifi or Mobile data.  Free solution and will work for sure

Need Help? Let's chat.