cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD!!!!!

mycellphone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all!

On July 21st I was travelling and a couple of hours before my flight my service was cut off. Upon my return on August 22nd my service was still not on. I checked my activity and realized my phone number was being used to call to the USA (I don't have access outside of Canada). My number has been hacked I thought, so I have sent numerous email to Public Mobile explaining I have no phone and desperate to have access to my account that I have prepaid until November. It has been over one week now and NO RESPONSE!!! This is ridiculous and I will be seeking help from the Consumers Protection.i have given them all the details and no one one has even tried to contact me by email!!! No wonder their plans are so cheap!! NO Customer service!! You get what you pay for I guess:(

19 REPLIES 19

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kayfun101 phones can only be added to the black list by providers/carriers:

Spoiler

Anytime a GSM, HSPA or LTE wireless device is reported as lost or stolen to a participating Canadian wireless service provider, that device’s unique IMEI number is added to a shared national blacklist (the “Blacklist”). Any device appearing on the Blacklist is blocked, and participating Canadian wireless service providers do not allow it to be used on their respective wireless networks.

Remember, if your device is lost or stolen, report it to your service provider immediately. Only wireless service providers can add a device to the Blacklist.

(source:  http://www.protectyourdata.ca/en/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/)

However, there may be some issues.  Here are a couple of examples that came up in my google search.  I'm sure there's more:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/03/30/canadas-gsm-blacklist-bell-telus/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bell-accused-of-ganging-up-on-resale-buyers-by-blackl...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kayfun101
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
But what about his previous provider could of blacklisted his cell on mistake correct could this happen

Kayfun101
Makes sense he bought a phone that was stolen from someone else or online and I thiught the phones that are blacklisted are unusable with all carriers

srlawren

Thanks @Luddite.  So, no fraudulent activity was involved at all.  [Possible exception could be whatever activity lead to the phone being blacklisted--but nothing to do with PM].

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Chaos_Scorpio @srlawren et al.

I understand the calls were from Canada just an area code the customer thought was in the USA. Seems the phone has been blacklisted.

Here endith the story.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well the user name is even fishy ... mycellphone ?? who uses cell phones ... 😛 

Kayfun101
He has not responded witch means he is away from a computer or he has not got the emails in his inbox or he is using a different service any of these are good options but really is different situation daily

Rockdaddy22
This thread is fishy

srlawren

@mycellphone can you please answer @Shazia_K's questions to get some resolution to this?  It's quite impossible on your plan to make calls to the USA.  You could *receive* calls from the USA--are you sure you're seeing outbound calls and not inbound?  Your phone could also be sending SMS text messages to numbers in the USA or internationally, especially if, as @Kayfun101 mentioned, you're an iMessage user on iPhone (but we have seen other Android apps do this also).

Kayfun101
Do you have a iPhone at all just curious about that I had iCloud problems wean I came here and please come back and let us now we all want to help you ok 🙂

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @mycellphone

I'm sorry can you only confirm

I checked my activity and realized my phone number was being used to call to the USA (I don't have access outside of Canada). My number has been hacked I thought, so I have sent numerous email to Public Mobile explaining I have no phone and desperate to have access to my account. 

If you don't have access to your account how did you check your activity?

I see that the plan is active as of the 18th of August 2016, can you confirm if you still have SIM card ending by *6324? 

There was no calls made to the USA that's something I can confirm right away, as @srlawren mentioned, we offer a prepaid service only and if you haven't paid for the LD add-on you won't be able to make LD calls.

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Kayfun101
Could it be different towers or is there a split in the line there is to many different explanations on this issue he is facing hopefully he reponds here after

srlawren

That's the thing, @Kayfun101--it shouldn't be possible. Because PM is a completely pre-paid system, it should NOT be possible to make calls to the US without having it as part of your plan (or add-on).

Kayfun101
That's scary so scary this could happen

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@mycellphone,

Click on this and learn how we can communicate in private.

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

mycellphone

I cannot even text with my phone!! If that's the private message you are talking about.... I can only email you, but forgive me if I am a bit paranoid about security and info on my account... Please instruct me what to do...

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @mycellphone

I'm truly sorry about this, 

This seems very odd to me, I will need to get in your account and verify everything for you. 

Please don't worry we will get things working out, can you start by sending me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number?

Thanks,

Shazia

mycellphone

On July 21 before I left for Europe I thought that there was a problem with a tower. My phone and SIM were with me at all times for a month in Greece. I emailed public mobile on July 21st and were asking me to enter my acct info that I chose not to access from someone else's computer abroad. My plan only includes within my province of Quebec. So imagine my surprise when I returned and viewed my activity while I was away and in the last few days, when my number is used to call a number in UTAH in the States. Since my return I have tried repeatedly to restore my service as I have no land line and need my cellphone. I had no long distance add-one or anything like that! Is this a little bit more clear? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!!

srlawren

@mycellphone some of the details here are a bit fuzzy.

You had active service up to July 21st and it suddenly terminated?  Then Aug 22nd you came back and realized you still didn't have service.  Had you done anything about trying to restore the service while you were away?  Did you have the phone and SIM card with you while you travelled, and if so, were you travelling outside of Canada?  When you did have an active service, did it include the Canada+USA calling option, or did you have on one of the long distance add-ons?  

@Shazia_K can you please connect with @mycellphone?  This sounds highly out of the ordinary.  Thank you.

Need Help? Let's chat.