cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM account not closed or billed yet

SaiX
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been monitoring my old FM account for a couple of days and it is still active. Before my bill was showing $0.00 2 days ago, now it is showing $-5.15. Is this something I should contact FM about regarding the port to PM or should I continue waiting it out until they give me the actual final bill and see a closure of my FM account?
5434y6346346.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

A carrier can't actually "close" an account until it has a balance of $0.00.  What's supposed to happen is that Freedom should have halted your service and stopped billing you for your monthly plan from the day that the number porting was completed.  Just make sure when you get your invoice, make sure that they didn't keep charging you.  But the prorated partial month's account is a good sign, and you should be fine.

The $5.15 is for the part of the monthly billing cycle from the 2 to 3rd of July that you have already paid for but did not use.

The fact that you can still log into your Freedom Mobile account isn't a bad thing in itself.  While some companies immediately lock you out of your online account after you port a number out (cough cough, Rogers/Fido), Freedom may not be doing that.  Since your services at Freedom have stopped working and your Public Mobile service is fulling working, that would mean that your number porting is complete.  I see this as a convenience thing as this means if you did owe Freedom any money for the last bill, you would still have the convenience of paying online.  My experience with Rogers for the few times I ported out from them was that they immediately locked you out of your self-serve account, which meant that if you wanted to make a payment by credit card, you were forced to call them to do it (or make a payment by online banking instead).

SaiX

well I just got back from them and this is what she has to say:
45232355352.jpg
I was expecting to pay a bill to them for this month but instead they're refunding me that $5.15 in the next 4-6 weeks so I guess I'm all good then Smiley Happy 

marmstrong

I may be wrong, but I thought that most cell companies bill you one final time after you switch. I just recently got my Fido bill after I switched to Freedom last month. I'd expect that if you switched July 1st, that you'd still be given a final "bill" that will close out your account in August. I'm anticipating this will happen for me as well, since I switched to PM just today, with my FM bill arriving only about a week or two ago, and allowing me enough time on FM's service to warrant them sending me a bill for use of their plan for the month of July.

If I recall, I had the same thing as well when I left Virgin to go to Fido a few years back. If FM is waiting till the end of the month to close out your account, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd still keep an eye on if they're charging you, just in case.

SaiX

- yes, my PM service. Talk, text and data are all working to this day.
- yes my FM sim stopped working on july 1st and at the same time my PM sim began to work.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with them but I guess I have to contact them since this shouldn't normally take this long for them to close/bill my account.

thanks for the fast responses Luddite.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Is your PM SIM providing all the services: talk, text, data? Are you able to access your PM account and see the correct plan? Has your Freedom SIM stopped working?

If yes to all, it is likely safe to contact them to find out the status of your refund.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.