cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Data

Crosstrax
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why does Public not offer data add-ons good for a year like other cell companies??

4 REPLIES 4

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Simply put,  @Crosstrax , they'd rather you move to a higher price plan with more data to guarantee them a revenue stream every 30 days then rely on a data add-on to get you through when you need it.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Until recently, data add-ons never expired. Unused portions of data add-ons remained attached to the account and kept rolling over billing cycles indefinitely. Until the Data add-on was fully consumed and dropped off the account. The same way that minutes from long-distance add-ons worked (and still work).

The "Data add-ons expire 30 days post purchase" subtext is a new thing. A sucky, stupid, nonsensical thing which would scare off any idiot consumer who wanted to buy them. Use it or lose it? Combine that with the unreasonable prices ($5 for 200MB, $15 for 1GB) and nobody will ever buy them except in the most dire and urgent crisis situations.

And remember that we also have another option. "Renew Subscription Now" in Self-Serve. Pay the full price of your plan and force it to renew immediately (before the billing cycle is complete) - and all your plan provisions (your data and your calling minutes) begin a new cycle at full capacity. I think this is still a bit wasteful but people used to do it back when the best data plans were around 5GB, imagine how much more cost-effective this strategy is compared vs the rip-off data add-ons now that plans can have up to 100GB (or more). A downside of forcing plans to renew immediately was that Reward cycles would be wrecked (days on interrupted plan cycles didn't count towards Loyalty, Referral pay-outs skipped for the cycle, and obviously no AutoPay bonus) - but I suppose the new Points system gives you kickbacks for spending money so the more you spend the more you get which only emphasizes how ridiculous and insulting Public Mobile's obsolete data add-ons coupled with Telus's greed have become to us.

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Crosstrax Like any corporation my speculation is that this is profit driven.  For those low usage users, they could get away with the $15 plan and add data add-ons as they need it and if data add-ons lasted a year, 1 block may even last the year for some.  Now with the $24 or $29 plan, this gives those users enough data at 4-5GB/month and increases their spend by at least at least 60%.  That's increased monthly revenue to PM (Telus).  They're probably counting on the fact that many people won't shop around and just increase to the next best plan that fits their need even though it's much more data than they could ever use.  Hence this BF and Christmas you saw many if not all of the telcos offer $34 for 30,40, 50GB.  It's much more than many of us need, but it seems like a good deal so why not.  Rather than offer lower cost plans with a more realistic cap that many would use.  Of course, some could use that much in a month but again I'm sure many would be perfectly happy to spend less and have a lower cap.  But it's less revenue in the telcos pocket so the game continues.

Do you know of other telcos that offer data addons that last a year?

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

While the exact reason for this I don't know, it seems to align with other carriers as well. There's a more thorough discussion about this at, https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Data-Add-on-Expiry/m-p/1016908

Need Help? Let's chat.