cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired Certificate on Public Mobile Homepage

niels-ernest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Every time I visit the Public Mobile home page I get this warning from my Bitdefender antivirus. Is anyone else running into this? I'm using Chrome on Windows 10.Untitled.png

15 REPLIES 15

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have never had this error before.  I get ssl certificate problems and chrome won't let me proceed.  

Are you just going to www.publicmobile.ca and seeing it there? Because I'm not seeing an expired certificate.

Can you uninstall Bitdefender temporarily and try again?

niels-ernest

It's on Public Mobiles site though, so they could remove it. It's not necessary for the site to function. I've kept it blocked and the site still works just fine. They could simply remove it until the certificate is renewed. 

@jwds1978 wrote:

It's not a Public Mobile domain. It's up to the owner (i.e. R1Demand) to renew their certificate.

Except that the issue, for the OP, is showing up when accessing PM, so surely PM has some input on whether or not said cert. interacts with their site?

jwds1978

It's not a Public Mobile domain. It's the owner (i.e. R1Demand, RhythmOne) that has to renew their certificate(s).

@niels-ernest wrote:

My bigger issue is that if they can't be bothered to take care of basic security issues like keeping certificates up to date, why should I trust their security when it comes to important things like my credit card info? 

I get ya..... I've thought the same thing about other sites I've visited, on which Avast has barfed on expired certs. It seems as though whomever is responsible for letting certs. expire, isn't really keeping on top of things, but OTOH, it's a fairly common occurence, and there's really only two things you can do, i.e. hit the "Add to exceptions" button, or wait 'til they renew the certs. in question. I suppose a 3rd choice would be, get a new provider, in whose site you feel confident they're keeping up with the daily maintenance.....

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I'm not an expert on certificates, but Bitdefender definitely installs its own Root CA on the OS and all browsers will use it, even for online banking and other stuff.

That freaked me out and I uninstalled it.

If you use Firefox or Chrome without Bitdefender installed on your computer, you should get the normal certificate that is not expired.Screenshot_20200122-211838.png

@niels-ernest wrote:

My bigger issue is that if they can't be bothered to take care of basic security issues like keeping certificates up to date, why should I trust their security when it comes to important things like my credit card info? 

You can contact the moderators via SIMon the chat bot.Simon.JPG

If you do not feel safe using your credit card you could always buy top up vouchers at places like Shell, Canadian Tire, Walmart ETC

You could also top up your account online via recharge.com. They even take Paypal.

niels-ernest

@niels-ernest wrote:

I tried it on Edge as well after clear Edge to default settings and I got the same results. It is clearly a problem with the website.

Edit: The same warning also showed up on my other computer, I've duplicated the results now on two different computers with three browsers, two of which were cleared to default settings.

Well, it's clearly BitDefender that's choking on it. I JUST tried logging in to my account, using FireFox and my AV is Avast(which has, in the recent past, choked on expired certs. as well), and I didn't get any such issue. You can always hit the "Add to exceptions" button that's shown in your screenshot, but if that cert. being expired gives you the heebie-jeebies, I guess you'll have to wait 'til they renew that cert.

Edit - OH, I just re-read the 1st post, and see it wasn't a login issue, but simply the main page...... same info above still applies, though.

jwds1978

Capture+_2020-01-22-20-22-57.png

It expired on 17 December 2019.

niels-ernest

It's a tracking cookie used by Public Mobile.

jwds1978

The error in your screen capture indicates the certificate for "analytics.po.st" is expired.

niels-ernest

I tried it on Edge as well after clear Edge to default settings and I got the same results. It is clearly a problem with the website.

Edit: The same warning also showed up on my other computer, I've duplicated the results now on two different computers with three browsers, two of which were cleared to default settings.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

See this thread from Nov 2019...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Security-Error-at-login-page-re-security-c...

I know there is a more recent thread will try to find it but on thread above Public Mobile Moderators responded. Below is there response.

Since there isn't a know issue related to the website and everything should be working just fine,

try to clear the cache and the cookies of your browser or try logging in using a different browser(IE, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox)

If you still have trouble logging in do not hesitate to reach out to SIMon or create a ticket to get a moderator to look into this for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.