cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customer, cancel and come back a month later, is it qualified as new activation?

Tritanix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

On Boxing day promo week 2023, I switched from $25/1GB  3G to $34/40GB 5G. Could not switch to $29/10 GB b/c only for NEW activation.

The new plan $34 is overkill for me given that I could live OK with 1GB data per month before. It's just that the 1GB at 3G is unreliable, sometimes, Google map could not connect.

It looks like Public Mobile now only offer entry level plan for NEW activation. Would it be OK it I cancel my account. Switching to another provider. In case I am not happy with the new provider, can I come back to Public Mobile a month later and be qualified as new activation?

8 REPLIES 8

@Tritanix Yes, you can port out today and sign up for the offer immediately, taking a new number. To be safe use a different email address so the system does not get confused. Then port back to PM whenever suits you. 
Just do your research on the total cost to do the switch before making the jump.  Several carriers seem to be charging an activation fee now. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Tritanix

@Meow wrote:

To my understanding cancelling is not that easy. Your account will be deleted after 90 days of no pay OR if you transfer your number to another company. Agent might be able to delete it right away but I have not seen any post regarding that. Agent might just say - stop paying and it will be automatically deleted.

Not sure why cancelling is not easy. Can I just port-in my number when I switch provider a few days close to the invoice cycle? AN in case I am interested in coming back to Public Mobile, there are still some possible constraints to be qualified as NEW activation: can I re-use the same email, port-in back the same number, etc.

Overall the simplest is probably for me to stay with the new provider. Or Public mobile to lift the restriction of "only new activation".

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Technically - yes. But is you are on old rewards or have some funds in your account you will lose everything.

To my understanding cancelling is not that easy. Your account will be deleted after 90 days of no pay OR if you transfer your number to another company. Agent might be able to delete it right away but I have not seen any post regarding that. Agent might just say - stop paying and it will be automatically deleted.

You could open brand new account using different email but you would have to find somebody to use your existing account at least until next renewal date or have two accounts for a little while.

Tritanix

Hum, let me ask a CS_Agent to be 100% sure. In fact if  I am happy with the new provider. The procedure to come back as new activation would be irrelevant. But it is safer to know exactly how this works. Will report here when I have the exact answer.

@Tritanix wrote:

Is there a minimum wait time after cancellation after re-sign up as new account? Would a few days be enough? Or maybe even the same day?

The "new activation" only policy is puzzling. It looks anti-economic as this encourages customers to go to the competition.

@Tritanix 

I don't Public mobile monitors.  Even the same day should be fine.  To be safer, you could use a different email address to sign up. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe you could cancel and re activate a day later?  Let us know what happens and good luck!

Tritanix

Is there a minimum wait time after cancellation after re-sign up as new account? Would a few days be enough? Or maybe even the same day?

The "new activation" only policy is puzzling. It looks anti-economic as this encourages customers to go to the competition.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Tritanix 

Yes, you will be considered a new customer.  However, you will lose whatever rewards or credits on your old Public mobile account.  Not sure how long the $24 plan (for 4GB LTE) will be available for though.  

Need Help? Let's chat.