cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Roam

Snowbunny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Public Mobile Community,

I am a total newbie, less than 1 week.  I have to say, although I read about many of the registration/activation issues, I did not experience them.  I ordered my SIM card online and when I received it about 5-6 days later, I followed the steps and everything worked perfectly, and quickly.  Kudos!

My question is:  Since Public Mobile is owned by Telus, why therefore can Public Mobile not offer the Easy Roam add-on?  I read many community threads about clients wanting the roaming feature while travelling down-south, and the Telus Easy Roam package offers more than 150+ countries. https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/travel/

Thanks everyone,

13 REPLIES 13

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Snowbunny welcome to PM.  As the others have already mentioned, this is the 3rd tier brand of Telus, and from a budgeting and expense perspective the costs wouldn't make sense for PM, especially when they are giving away money every month.

One thing you'll quickly realize is PM doesn't offer certain types of plans like Telus or other companies, and with that I'd say just keep reminding yourself that this is the 3rd tier brand, so expect a number of differences.  But with that said, if what PM offers works for how you use your phone, then be ecstatic that you can easily lower your bill by a decent amount every cycle Smiley LOL

Not much roaming options in Publimc mobile.  It is unlikely they will add it, it is asked many years ago.    Go with local sim or dont use it at all.  Have fun!  Smiley Happy

Snowbunny

Thank you MCS11.  I am hearing that more and more, and will definately go that route.

Snowbunny

Thank you for this ShawnC13.   

Snowbunny

Thank you for this.  We will definately opt for that instead.

It's after I got here... So it's all good 🙂  I still haven't used it!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

The US Roaming option is still somewhat new, only coming last year.

@stonechucker not to nitpick (sorry!) but it was actually 2 years ago, in Nov 2016, IIRC.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcs11 wrote:

@Snowbunny It's definitely convenient to be able to add on a plan via your provider (I was with Virgin Mobile for many years and I did this a few times for expediency). However, this past year I was in France for several weeks and it was much more cost-effective to get a local SIM. Next time you travel, give this option a shot and hopefully you will find it simple and painless. Good luck! 

I find that there's kind of a fun factor with having a local number too.

@Anonymous Totally! I could pretend that I was a real Parisen. It helped that I was constantly stuffing my face full of baguette and other French pastries.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcs11 wrote:

@Snowbunny It's definitely convenient to be able to add on a plan via your provider (I was with Virgin Mobile for many years and I did this a few times for expediency). However, this past year I was in France for several weeks and it was much more cost-effective to get a local SIM. Next time you travel, give this option a shot and hopefully you will find it simple and painless. Good luck! 

I find that there's kind of a fun factor with having a local number too.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Snowbunny wrote:

Hi Public Mobile Community,

I am a total newbie, less than 1 week.  I have to say, although I read about many of the registration/activation issues, I did not experience them.  I ordered my SIM card online and when I received it about 5-6 days later, I followed the steps and everything worked perfectly, and quickly.  Kudos!

My question is:  Since Public Mobile is owned by Telus, why therefore can Public Mobile not offer the Easy Roam add-on?  I read many community threads about clients wanting the roaming feature while travelling down-south, and the Telus Easy Roam package offers more than 150+ countries. https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/travel/

Thanks everyone,

There are a lot of features that you will see with Telus that we will not get here.  There has to be some difference in services provided for the lower costs we are paying for cellular service.  This is a third tier provider (although when I joined 2 years ago it competed with the 2nd tiers) that is perfect for people who just need basic service and don't need the comfort of a call centre or storefront for customer service.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Roaming options are way too expensive for this no frills brand.  Buying service locally is the way to go for those on a budget. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

The US Roaming option is still somewhat new, only coming last year.

This is a 3rd tier provider and doesn't have all the frills of the larger companies.  I wouldn't expect easy roam to be available anytime soon.

Generally, your best option will be to get a local sim if you wish to use your device in another country, other than the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.