cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Sim. Wont accept calls on second number.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Galaxy S21. I have 1 physical sim (primary) and 1 eSIM ( Business )

My eSIM will get msgs. It will make calls. Though that's a little wonky. I call a buddy it takes like 15-20 seconds doing nothing. Then it starts ringing. Physical Sim is instant.  Every call that goes to it goes straight to voicemail. 

Anyone know what the issue might be?

12 REPLIES 12

@103361876 Both sim (physical and eSIM) should work incoming and outgoing as long as they are enabled

So, your physical sim cannot receive incoming calls? Did you just port in the number to your physical sim ? Since it is physical , you can try the sim in another phone to test out

You said the eSIM takes long to call out as well?  What is your network mode setup on both sim?  You tried Reset All networks on both sim?

Would getting a physical sim alleviate this issue?

Are you saying you cant use 2 accounts on one phone? 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Except you can't swap out your services between Sim card slots. But @103361876 you may be able to call forward your non-call recieving number to your other number as a workaround?

HI @maximum_gato the esim/physical sim setup is basically the same.  So, whatever you can set with 2 phsyical sim cards, you can select the same with eSIM/Physical combo

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

I agree with you but we have dual "physical" Sim phones I'm wondering how the esim handles the network change to 3G for calls since it's considered simslot "2".  Which Sim is set as preferred for data?

I much prefer a physical Sim card /slot. It's just easier to move around but don't get me wrong in the absence of dual sim slots I would take dual sim/esim device like my pixel.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

These replies about dual sims is confusing me. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I have dual sims with two active Public accounts. The sim setting of calls (and texts and data) I think is more about the default. If one receives a call on either number it will ring regardless of which one is set. When making a call it will use that default setting. The timing and delay to switch to 3G for incoming may be a possibility. But I don't think the call setting would affect that. But always worth the test.

@103361876- To check if the device has been enabled for volte and if the menu is anything like my Samsung, settings, about phone, status information, sim card status - look at the mobile voice network type. It probably says LTE. Now make a call and stay on it and look at that line again. Does it change to UMTS? If so then that account/phone has not been enabled. Make a call on the other sim and look again. UMTS? Then also not enabled. If they stay on LTE then volte has been enabled.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@103361876 

From samsung:

What to do if you want to use eSIM and SIM card at the same time

To have two phone numbers or service providers for a single device, activate the eSIM or insert two SIM cards.

Differing from a physical nano-SIM card, an eSIM is an embedded digital SIM. Using both the nano-SIM card and the eSIM may result in slower data transfer speeds in some areas. The device recognizes up to two SIMs for Dual Standby.

Is your device provisioned for VoLTE? If not what is your preferred network setting? Without VoLTE the phone requires the 3G network to send and recieve voice calls. If the physical Sim card is using the 4G LTE or 5G network by default the phone may be taking a half second too long to switch to the 3G network for an incoming call on the esim causing it to default to voicemail. Maybe choosing the esim for preferred calls might shorten the network switch time that incoming calls to the physical Sim card may not default to voicemail?

Im not sure where to find that info. But haven't found anything that said it cant after I read your msg. 

Settings wise it should all be correct. Both are set.

Both are Public Mobile. Yes Incoming. But to the eSIM. Not the Physical primary number.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@103361876 Does the S21 allow dual sim active, meaning both sims allow incoming calls at the same time? Or is it dual sim standby where you have to specify which sim to use for calls?

Could it be that you have only the physical sim set to receive calls? That would explain why calls to the esim sim go straight to voice mail.

Edit to switch sims in reply after reading reply by OP to @dust2dust .

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Which sim (or e) is Public?
Do you mean incoming calls (for the last question)?

Need Help? Let's chat.