cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping to 3g on some calls; no sound other than static

WindyOrbits
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone encountered something similar? I am on a 5g plan, but my phone is not 5g enabled so it says 4g on the top left corner of the bars, but I noticed this morning that when I called some 1-855 numbers that I was able to call until yesterday evening, now it takes 10-15 to connect (is on the dialing screen for that time), and then it shows connected but I hear nothing other than static, and when I look at my signal, I see 1 bar, and the word "3g"... I noticed this issue is always a combination of signal dropping to 3g, can't hear the person talking and quiet static.

Would really love some help since I need to call the numbers I am having issues with. Thanks!

EDIT: I tried with friends' phones (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and all seem to be able to call the numbers successfully... so I am really stuck. I have also moved my sim into my friend's phone to see if it is phone specific issue and I continue having same issue on their phone..

4 REPLIES 4

WindyOrbits

hi @hTideGnow 

Yes, that is correct - seems I can call other numbers fine.

I just DMed you the number I am still struggling with. Thanks!

EDIT: The phone numbers work now! All resolved!

hi @WindyOrbits 

so, your calls are in fact ok but just those 1855 numbers?  do you mind to share some of those numbers?

WindyOrbits

Thank you for your reply - I just made an edit and saw your response 🙂

I tried with friends' phones (Rogers, Bell, Telus) and all seem to be able to call the numbers successfully and they all vary in age of phone (from old Samsung phones to an iphone 15) ... so I am really stuck. I have also moved my sim into one of my friend's phone (older Samsung phone) to see if it is phone specific issue and I continue having same issue on their phone so I am not sure it is a phone thing.

Also, as I mentioned, I was able to call these 1-855 numbers less than 10 hours ago with no issue..
EDIT: have also tried now on the iphone 15, and an iPhone XR and same issue - takes forever to connect and then no sound or very faint static. 
@hTideGnow do you mind explaining what you mean by "dropping to 3G for calls is ok.   Only some are using VoLTE and most still on 3G with voice"? Does this mean it is a PM issue since my friends using Rogers, Bell, Telus etc can get through? But that doesn't make sense to me since isn't PM also on Telus network? Thank you for your help!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @WindyOrbits 

what phone do you have?

dropping to 3G for calls is ok.   Only some are using VoLTE and most still on 3G with voice.  But 3G shouldn'thave the no sound issue

You can try to change your network mode to 3G only and test some calls and check if you can talk and listen without issue on 3G

Need Help? Let's chat.