cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping calls & group texts not working

Mick34
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently my Motorola G 7 Plus has been dropping calls and not getting group texts plus losing signal. The calls drop and then a message appears saying no cellular service available, the group text appear as individual messages to download but they don't download. I also lose signal which comes and goes. Any ideas? Phone is up to date.

13 REPLIES 13

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Mick34 

Upon rereading your original post it does indicate that it's both your 3G and 4G LTE signals are impacted. Maybe we have overlooked the obvious....basic connectivity like a poor connection.

Reboot your phone then toggle airplane mode on/off. Does that make a difference?

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@maximum_gato wrote:

@Mick34 

If you give us a more specific location we can determine if bell has decommissioned your local 3G signal to upgrade to 5G. Newfoundland has hit and miss 3G coverage  as network expansion there has always favored increasing 4G LTE coverage and now 5G coverage over installing 3G infrastructure that will soon be obsolete.

I have a moto g7+ that has VoLTE enabled but not yet provisioned by pm and our phones are not yet on the official whitelist. If calling is really poor try the voip provider workaround of call forwarding your pm number to your voip number while you are in a 3G coverage zone. You will recieve incoming pm calls on your voip number and use it to call out if you need to until pm opens up the whitelist to more devices.

I like the voip creativity but if @Mick34 's issue here is really caused by 3G spectrum re-allocation thus requiring VoLTE in order to have reliable calling, Mick34 should be pushing PM via a ticket to get VoLTE working. 

Kristowhy

@Mick34 wrote:

St. John's NFLD and have never experience any issues before and this started happening only recently

It's likely one of the following:

- RF/radio issue with your device (lower probability - rule out by trying SIM in diff. phone)

- 3G spectrum re-farming for 5G by Bell (much higher probability)

Ask anyone you know who is using Bell Aliant if they have been experiencing similar issues recently as well.  It's very important to know and understand what device and plan they are using (5G?) and if their calls are using VoLTE.  The quick test is to make a call with the phone and watch the network indicator at the top (which usually says LTE or even 5G).  If it stays on LTE or switches to VoLTE you know they are using VoLTE for calls.

At present with PM unless your account has VoLTE provisioned and your device is "accepted" by PM/Telus as being "compatible", your phone will use the old 3G network for calls.  If your area is indeed affected by 3G spectrum re-allocation, and your phone is ok, then this is the culprit for your calling issues.  

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Mick34 

There is pretty decent 3G coverage in St. John's. Check your local area for your cell tower zone coverage.

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=302&MNC=610&type=UMTS&latitude=47.57919160041166&longitude=-52.78...

Mick34

St. John's NFLD and have never experience any issues before and this started happening only recently

Kristowhy

@Mick34 wrote:

Newfoundland, mostly LTE or 3G occasionally I've seen 4G, the powering off and removal doesn't seem to work? Could I need a new Sim card?

@Mick34 at this point I would try your SIM in another device if possible and see if that fixes things.  If it does then you know there is something going on with your phone, and doing a reset of your phone's network settings is in order.  If not, then it could be on the network side in NFLD or possibly the SIM card. 

As mentioned before this is likely a tricky one to solve, therefore be methodical and rule things out carefully.  

Submit a ticket once you have tested and ruled out everything and problems persist.  G'luck!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Mick34 

If you give us a more specific location we can determine if bell has decommissioned your local 3G signal to upgrade to 5G. Newfoundland has hit and miss 3G coverage  as network expansion there has always favored increasing 4G LTE coverage and now 5G coverage over installing 3G infrastructure that will soon be obsolete.

I have a moto g7+ that has VoLTE enabled but not yet provisioned by pm and our phones are not yet on the official whitelist. If calling is really poor try the voip provider workaround of call forwarding your pm number to your voip number while you are in a 3G coverage zone. You will recieve incoming pm calls on your voip number and use it to call out if you need to until pm opens up the whitelist to more devices.

Mick34

Got it done and will see what happens
ty

Mick34

Happens everywhere but I don't travel a big radius

Mick34

Newfoundland, mostly LTE or 3G occasionally I've seen 4G, the powering off and removal doesn't seem to work? Could I need a new Sim card?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mick34 , the texting problem is likely related to the default app installed on the phone.  Usually group text will be sent/received as MMS.  Perhaps try deleting the text app cache, force closing the app and restarting it.  

The calling problem is a potential tough nut to crack.  It could be due to VoLTE rollout.  You would have to check whether your account is VoLTE enabled and phone is whitelisted for VoLTE.  I loathe to suggest this but try calling with preferred network type set to 3G.  If this resolves the problem then there is a potential VoLTE issue.  

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Does it happens in one particular area or everywhere?
Most likely you phone is loosing signal due to tower malfunction or atmospheric conditions.

Or your phone is losing contact with SIM card.

How about calls? Internet? Do you lose signal there too?

Kristowhy

What region/area is this in?  Do you know if VoLTE is being used for calls?  When calling, does the indicators switch from LTE to H or 3G or stay on LTE?

Have you tried powering off the phone, removing the SIM, wait for 5 mins and replace and try again?

Need Help? Let's chat.