cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped calls

Mjk12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I only receive a single bar anywhere in my home.  Every call that comes in is dropped.  I can’t make any outgoing calls as the line drops after the dial.

This poor reception makes the plan useless

11 REPLIES 11

The use of the terms 3G and 4G around here are about speed. The plans use 4G anyway. Your phone however uses the networks. Setting to 3G will use UMTS for calls and HSPA for data. Setting it to 4G will use LTE and without volte it will drop to UMTS for voice. If volte is enabled then it will use 4G for voice.

5G plans can use 5G networks. They're really sort of internally using 4G anyway though. But you'll get a little more speed with them.

It seems you're in a weak 4G area. It might be interesting if you set the phone back to 5G Auto and turned on cell data whether any bars would change.

Mjk12

Yes, with 4G lite same poor signal,  needs to stay on 3G for any kind of decent reception.  I have messaged Tech Support.  I guess my option is stop paying for a 4G plan and downgrade to 3G as that is all I am able to use?

Have a try on 4G LTE. Then look to see if some mention of volte shows up in the same screen. I would suspect the 4G option will give the same weak signal which might be that you're in a weak 4G area. 5G will only show up on the top status bar when you turn on cell data. Otherwise the phone should still sit waiting on 4G. But let us know.

Mjk12

Sorry, on a 4G plan in Burlington.  But does this mean I need to stay on 3G to get proper cell coverage?  Should I check to see if VoLTE enabled?

@Mjk12 wrote:

Thanks Town Hero.  I had the setting as 5G auto.  Switched to 3G and now have 3 bars vs 1 bar previously.  Unfortunately I guess I need to keep the phone on 3G now even though all the carriers are touting internet improvements with their 5G?

@Mjk12 

Are you on 3G or 4G or 5G plan?

which city you are in?

you have an iPhone?  you might want to try VoLTE again.  But message support to confirm your profile is VoLTE enabled on PM side, then you can change it to  LTE and test again test calls again

(Yes, please use LTE if you are on on a 5G plan)

Message support here:

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Mjk12

Thanks Town Hero.  I had the setting as 5G auto.  Switched to 3G and now have 3 bars vs 1 bar previously.  Unfortunately I guess I need to keep the phone on 3G now even though all the carriers are touting internet improvements with their 5G?

@Mjk12 wrote:

Yes, have rebooted iPhone, no improvement.  This wasn’t an issue when I first signed up with PM in January but it has been terrible for several weeks now 

@Mjk12 , I had the same issue the last few months! I upgraded my software to 16.5 & telus tier 2 tech told me to reset my network settings, manually set my cellular network to Public Mobile instead of Auto, set my Voice & Data (in Cellular Data Option) to 5G Auto! Which gives me a better signal!

IMG_0019.jpegIMG_0020.jpegIMG_0021.jpeg

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'd be annoyed if this had been happening for a while now.  Some posts mention volte causing problems for customers as but I would contact customer support reps by opening a ticket with the chatbot link.

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/libs/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&lang=fr&toggle=fals...

Weird thing is the chatbot is in French but this is from the English board.  Try using get help or this link.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/get-help

@Mjk12  Try selecting phone settings cellular voice and data and put it in 3G see if it helps with calls 

Mjk12

Yes, have rebooted iPhone, no improvement.  This wasn’t an issue when I first signed up with PM in January but it has been terrible for several weeks now 

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is always annoying and it has happened to me once in while but it was only temporary so could be same for you.  Could be some tower problems or upgrades happening in your region that is causing this.  Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.