cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doro 7050 will no register

sommet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Attempting to use a refurb Doro 7050 with an existing and working account on PM.  Phone is branded "Consumer Cellular" and is unlocked.  

https://www.consumercellular.com/Assets/documents/Manuals/Doro%207050%20Manual.pdf

Supports: 4G LTE FDD: 2 (1900), 4 (1700), 5 (850), 7 (2600), 12 (700)
                  3G UMTS: 1 (2100), 2 (1900), 4 (1700), 5 (850)

The device powers on but will not connect to PM.  Using the manual network selection results in "failed".  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

@sommet  thanks for your update and happy that this is now resolved and you are enjoying a new phone  🙂

sommet

Final conclusion: tried all the suggested tricks (inc tape on the back) with no change.  The phone is defective and the ebay seller agreed to a refund.  Thank you everyone for all the troubleshooting suggestions.

I was able to buy a used Kyocera DuraXE locally that fits our needs of a simple, loud, and now also rugged flip phone.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@sommet wrote:

Was able to try it with a Bell post-paid SIM today.  Works on the first attempt!

Next I tried it again with my own PM SIM that didn't work previously.  That now works too.

Last tried it with the PM SIM that is actually for this phone.  And it works.

BUT, after removing and reinserting this SIM it doesn't.  Try again, no joy.  After the third time it does work again.

Went back to my own SIM.  Works, but after removing it again it doesn't.

My conclusion is that it's an issue with the phone.  Sim slot is clean so it doesn't appear it's something I can solve.

Thank you to everyone for the valuable help and suggestions!

@sommet 

Have you tried the tape in the back of the SIM card trick?

The PM card may be too thin for the sim slot and couldn't make a tight connection with the phone. By sticking a thin piece of tape to the back of the card, you may improve the contact and get a stable connection with the networks.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sommet thanks for following up.  Sorry to hear that it's not working out for you but yes from your testing I would agree that there must be an intermittent issue with the card reader (or the tray not holding it snugly/properly in place or something).  Best of luck to you getting it resolved and/or finding another device that works for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sommet

Was able to try it with a Bell post-paid SIM today.  Works on the first attempt!

Next I tried it again with my own PM SIM that didn't work previously.  That now works too.

Last tried it with the PM SIM that is actually for this phone.  And it works.

BUT, after removing and reinserting this SIM it doesn't.  Try again, no joy.  After the third time it does work again.

Went back to my own SIM.  Works, but after removing it again it doesn't.

My conclusion is that it's an issue with the phone.  Sim slot is clean so it doesn't appear it's something I can solve.

Thank you to everyone for the valuable help and suggestions!

@sommet when you try manual network selection,  it sees Public Mobile?

I know you have not try it on other network yet, but try to get a SIM from another network and see

@sommet You say that you got it to register on Public Mobile but calls are dead silence. How about texting or data?

If texting and data work, it means 4G/LTE may be working but not 3G.

This phone appears to support bothe 850+1900Mhz 3G bands, so there's also the possibility you are in an area with only 4G/LTE service, and no 3G service... there are a few of these areas in eastern+atlantic Canada...

srlawren

@sommet wrote:

Refurb.  Unlocked.  Just got it, have only tried PM.

@sommet okay I suspect one of the two things I mentioned above to be true.  It's going to be difficult to confirm without access to a Consumer Cellular SIM card.  If you had one, and the phone recognized it and worked with it inserted, then we would conclude the phone is carrier locked to Consumer Cellular and you need to contact them and convince them to give you an unlock code; OR, if the SIM still didn't work, you almost certainly have a defective phone.  However, given that they are an American provider, I'm guessing you are not near someone with an active Consumer Cellular SIM card to test.  

Actually, on Consumer Cellular's FAQ page (https://www.consumercellular.com/help/billing), they note this:

Phones purchased from Consumer Cellular must remain on our service for a designated period of time before they can be unlocked. After that, customers may request that the phone be unlocked so long as the device has been paid in full, and the account in question is not past due. If your device was originally purchased from another carrier, the phone would be subject to that carrier’s unlocking policies.

This leads me to believe that the phone was likely sold as locked to Consumer Cellular and that the original owner may never have gotten it unlocked before getting rid of it (in whatever manner that it wound up in your hands).  It might still be worth contacting them https://www.consumercellular.com/contact to see if they can and are willing to help you unlock the device, to see if that helps.  However, if the original owner had an outstanding unpaid balance, they may not be willing to help.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sommet

Refurb.  Unlocked.  Just got it, have only tried PM.

srlawren

@sommet where did you get this?  Could it be network locked to Consumer Cellular, possibly?  Or defective?  Has it worked at all on any Canadian network since you got it?  (i.e. have you had it for some time and it was working elsewhere but not with PM, OR, did you just get it and if so where from?).

@sommet   if the spec is correct , it should connect to PM network 

I understand that you said the phone is not blacklisted, but the blacklist check is a bit delay.  So, I still encourage you to open a ticket with PM to confirm (especially if you got the same result after testing with another carrier's SIM)

sommet

Progress reversed!  Rebooted phone and now it cannot find the network.  Did another RESET ALL, no change.  

Tried the SIM from my working Pixel 3a, same issue.  Multiple RESET ALL.  Phone doesn't have airplane mode.

I don't have access to a SIM from another carrier today.  Possibly on the weekend. 

@sommet wrote:

Making some progress: "Reset All Settings" now has it recognizing PM and registering successfully.  However, outgoing and incoming calls don't work.  No error message or tones, just dead silence.  Same goes for call this phone from another PM account: never rings, doesn't go to voicemail.

@sommet  - toggle into airplane mode, then back to regular mode now...does that trigger the network services?

Can you try another working SIM (other provider or not) into this phone to identify if this is a phone issue or not?

sommet

Making some progress: "Reset All Settings" now has it recognizing PM and registering successfully.  However, outgoing and incoming calls don't work.  No error message or tones, just dead silence.  Same goes for call this phone from another PM account: never rings, doesn't go to voicemail.

@sommet You're doing the right thing by choosing Telus. It's the same network. Some phones don't say Public Mobile. That's not the issue.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@sommet wrote:

Attempting to use a refurb Doro 7050 with an existing and working account on PM.  Phone is branded "Consumer Cellular" and is unlocked.  

https://www.consumercellular.com/Assets/documents/Manuals/Doro%207050%20Manual.pdf

Supports: 4G LTE FDD: 2 (1900), 4 (1700), 5 (850), 7 (2600), 12 (700)
                  3G UMTS: 1 (2100), 2 (1900), 4 (1700), 5 (850)

The device powers on but will not connect to PM.  Using the manual network selection results in "failed".  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

@sommet  -

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

OR, maybe back up any information first, then, Try to Perform Factory Reset on Doro Classic Phones

1. Press Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Security.
  4. Select Master Reset/Reset Settings.
  5. Enter the current code (default code 1234).
  6. Press OK

The phone will now reset to factory defaults.

sommet

Yes, tried automatic setting.  Then the manual network selection.  Phone sees TELUS (and BELL, ROGERS, etc) but not PUBLIC MOBILE and will not connect.  

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@sommet Did you already try the automatic setting?

sommet

Checked.  NOT blacklisted.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@sommet 

Try device checker to see if blacklisted 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Need Help? Let's chat.