cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does porting numbers cause issues?

Shaz21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking to port from Koodo prepaid to Public, but wanted to know if porting causes any issues generally? I can see posts from folks have trouble with their SMS or receiving OTPs. Is that a known issue?

Context: Porting is more of a convenience for me at this point than a neccessity so I'd likely avoid it if there are issues.

3 REPLIES 3

ESM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Shaz21

I just signed up for a Public Mobile plan, signed into the PM app to download an eSIM and then I couldn't receive any SMS msgs. After confirming it wasn't a number porting issue from Bell, I realized my phone was still using my Bell SIM. I answered No when I should have answered Yes to the question, do you want to use 2 sims on a single device? As soon as I tapped on the PM sim in my network settings to make it my preffered carrier, all my texts flooded in.

I hope that helps.

@Shaz21 wrote:

I'm looking to port from Koodo prepaid to Public, but wanted to know if porting causes any issues generally? I can see posts from folks have trouble with their SMS or receiving OTPs. Is that a known issue?

Context: Porting is more of a convenience for me at this point than a neccessity so I'd likely avoid it if there are issues.

At the moment, there appears to be some type of issue going on for new customers not being able to use SMS servcies properly.  I have not seen any statement by Public Mobile about these issues yet.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Normally @Shaz21 porting SHOULDN'T be an issue. But over the last few weeks, Public Mobile has been dealing with issues on texting yet hasn't said anything in the announcement section. If you do port over and your texting isn't working, you'd have to create a ticket.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1712611926813.png

Need Help? Let's chat.