cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a 3G plan effect call quality?

deannehall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have been with PM for over a year now. My first plan included 4G but I switched to 3G approx 6 months ago. Sometime after I switched to 3G I noticed I would get voicemails but have no missed calls (while in full cell service areas). Is this because I am using 3G now, or does 3G/4G/LTE etc only effect internet/data speeds? 

Additionally, around this time I also stopped receiving emails from people I used to receive emails from (and they were not in my junk box), apps both standard to the phone like “camera” and downloaded apps started closing mid use. Could these faults be caused by 3G vs 4G/LTE too?

or maybe I just have an magnetic  and electric personality! 

19 REPLIES 19

@deannehall 

I have an SE. It is set to automatic. No issues. 

deannehall

I completed both of these thank you. But why would I not want the network to be automatic, and is there a benefit to choosing a network other than PM? My option were: PM, EXT, Freedom, Bell. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall wrote:

Hello, I have been with PM for over a year now. My first plan included 4G but I switched to 3G approx 6 months ago. Sometime after I switched to 3G I noticed I would get voicemails but have no missed calls (while in full cell service areas). Is this because I am using 3G now, or does 3G/4G/LTE etc only effect internet/data speeds? 

Additionally, around this time I also stopped receiving emails from people I used to receive emails from (and they were not in my junk box), apps both standard to the phone like “camera” and downloaded apps started closing mid use. Could these faults be caused by 3G vs 4G/LTE too?

or maybe I just have an magnetic  and electric personality! 

Did the solution resolve your call, app and email issues?

@deannehall try resetting your network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

Manually selecting network:

1. Navigate to Settings>Choose Carrier>Disable Automatic
2. The iPhone will now search for available networks
3. Choose desired network

@deannehall  Rebooting is a good troubleshooting technique but airplane mode completely  disconnects you from the network. And reconnects. Try it. I'll get you some iPhone expertise.

deannehall

Thank you, I looked... the only option I have is automatic. 

deannehall

The last time it happened, yesterday, I was awaiting a page out from a volunteer group. Everyone’s phone rang at the same time in the same building except mine... but I got notification of the voicemail and i hadn’t moved, I had full service bars. 

deannehall

Thank you I will try that, I often do a  powers down and restart not sure if that would also reestablish the connection. 

deannehall

I am using an iPhone 7, I do occasionally have various apps not load... I just close the window and reopen the app and that tends to work. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall try resetting your network settings.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall  Regardless if you are on a LTE or the current 3G plans calls will always use the PM 3G network. It's best to have your device set to select automatically the network. If you device is set to manually select the 3G network then change it back to automatic.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It may also be location dependant. When I was going to the office I worked in a high rise building. If my phone was on my desk on the right side of my computer I could get calls. If it was on the left side, it was straight to voicemail.

@deannehall 

Your calling issues (going to voicemail) are most likely due to a poor connection to the network. When this happens or make it a once a month habit (after renewal perhaps) turn airplane mode on. Wait 5 min. Turn airplane mode off. This completely disconnects your phone from the network. It then re-establishes a new connection to the network. This should fix any calling issues you might experience.

Ria19
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. I have not found any issues with PMs 3G service. PM uses Telus towers so the reliability is the same as Telus.  I have a samsung S9. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@deannehall I am on 3G plan for 7 month already and had no issues with call quality. Except 'all circuits are busy' several times, all calls are clear and without any noise, and I receive voice messages only if I didn't pick up the phone. Can you try to use this sim in another phone to see whether or not the issue with the device?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@deannehall 

I just keep my phone settings to automatic for data.  Let my phone decide what to use.  Normally, no issues with phone quality.  As stated above, PM uses 3G for voice calls, so the phone automatically uses that speed for phone calls.  

Email applications uses data.  Are you having issues with browsing and other apps with data use?  

Also, which model phone do you have?  Some phones don't have the ideal bands to use with Public mobile which may be a factor.  

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@deannehall Calls use 3G. Even with the 4G plans. you only notice the difference with the data speed. Call quality on the 3G network has been rock solid and it sounds just like any other phone call. The 3G network and Public Mobile has nothing to do with your phone. The camera app and those emails don't have anything to do with Public. It could be a problem with your phone or a problem unrelated to Public Mobile.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Calls use 3G.  Data uses Bell and Telus towers which are 4G but PM throttles speeds to 3G.  For everyday use 3G is fine.  Unless you stream 4K video or high quality music then it may make a difference in terms of buffering.

mc-ascher

Hi! Not in my experience! I've enjoyed 3G for almost a year with no problems. But I've also never had 4G with PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.