cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone else have an issue with spam calls/texts since switching to public mobile?

BeeBeeb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm wondering if this is related to switching carriers from Kudo to PM? Since then I've had repeated issues with spam calls and texts, this is not an issue I've had before! I know scams seem to be increasing, but it has been crazy. 

I've had to download apps to try and prevent the repeated spam calls. Texts I block but they usually circumvent that somehow by sending me a group text! Is there anything else I can be doing to prevent this? Has anyone else experienced something similar - would changing carriers fix this, or is it tied to my number now?

10 REPLIES 10

logi1040
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Personally I don't think it is related to the data provider. I haven't seen any change between my provider in Canada VS in Belgium so I do not think it is related. Just make sure you block / do not answer any random numbers! 🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BeeBeeb 

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that urgently, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

hi @Chalupa_Batman but you blocked her number already  🙂

No, Call control is independent of phone used, events strictly on the system side

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

My Mother In Law calls me multiple times a day. Is that considered spam calls?

If I remember correctly, that's just with Android phones right? I wish iPhone would come up with something like that.

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

i had Telus at one point and the call control was the best ever…. it stopped all robot calls since robots can’t press any numbers. the call control asks the caller to press a random number to continue the call (which ever number that call control says to push) 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BeeBeeb Koodo has Call Control feature and is offered for free.  We don't have it here 😞

If you are on iPhone, try using Silence Unknown Callers: But you need to manage your contacts well and you don't expect many callers who like to hide their caller id, like doctor office or teachers

Add: Samsung has it called:  Block Calls from Unknown numbers 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @BeeBeeb 

Koodo and Pm are pretty much the same syste. And if you port your number into PM, there is no reason yiu get more spam calls and text here 

Best to filter spam calls is to use the features found on many phone, only rings when the number is on your contacts and send the rest to VM

And what apps you were using for spam calls blocm before?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BeeBeeb 

you can change your cell number...but the bad guys are always in the shadows watching for opportunity !

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BeeBeeb  No more here than any other carrier . Random numbers and emails get spammed all the time just something we have to live with . I just ignore it and never reply or open a link from a untrusted contact 

Need Help? Let's chat.