cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile Support old Nokia Phones from Outside Canada>

Jaafar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a (Black & White) Nokia N105 phone from outside Canada. My phone isn't showing any signal and I'm unable to receive text message or calls, not even to call or send texts. 

Afaik, my phone is activated and my sim isn't locked, I've been using my sim for a couple of years in Canada with different iPhones. When it came to this particular phone, it's not working. 

What do you think would be a potential reason?

12 REPLIES 12

Jaafar

Seems not the 4G one. It says that it supports GSM 800/1800 or so.

@Jaafar wrote:

The Nokia N105 just won't work at Public Mobile.  Can you double check if this is actually a Nokia N105 4G?  Those are different phone models.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No problem at all. I'm just trying to help you in case you are shopping for a phone. Certain phones are not compatible with the frequencies and bands of the Public Mobile network. Like I said, you can visit the Kimovil website or google search "cell phone frequency in canada". There are several results that come up but Kimovil is the site with to most information and resources for all devices and canadian cellphone networks. 

Jaafar

This answer is for future visitors.
After some research, I went to the settings and changed the way the phone scans and connects to an operator network (from Automatic to Manual). The only operator that shows up (which indicates that it supports such protocol/frequency) is Rogers (No Public Mobile, No Telus). 

That states clearly that my phone isn't supported by Public Mobile.

Jaafar

I see. Although I won't open it, I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Andy85

@Jaafar Unfortunately it is an external website. Every time I try posting it in the community, it gets taken down my moderators. The site is called Kimovil for anyone interested. I just can't post the website otherwise it will be taken down. I sent it to you via private message but you can google search it too if you want. 

Jaafar

Thank you. But why in a private message?

Andy85

Hi @Jaafar , I can send you a website in a private message that will allow you to determine if your device is compatible with the Public Mobile network frequencies and bands!

Jaafar

Nope. The reason, might be related to the phone, and might be related to migration. All my iPhones were used in Canada.

Jaafar

Thank you! I think this would be the right answer. Is there a list of the supported phones (I mean any proof)? 

@Jaafar wrote:

I bought a (Black & White) Nokia N105 phone from outside Canada. My phone isn't showing any signal and I'm unable to receive text message or calls, not even to call or send texts. 

Afaik, my phone is activated and my sim isn't locked, I've been using my sim for a couple of years in Canada with different iPhones. When it came to this particular phone, it's not working. 

What do you think would be a potential reason?

The Nokia N105 won't work at Public Mobile (nor at any carrier in Canada).  It doesn't support the required network types.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Jaafar 

sounds like you've answered your own question.

Need Help? Let's chat.