cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PM lock phones?

nsmiley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We purchased a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy A20 one year ago and have used PM since. Recently we sold the phone and the new owner reports that she installed a valid Bell SIM card and received a message that the previous owner has to arrange for the phone to be unlocked before they can use the phone. Is this correct and how do I do that if necessary?

17 REPLIES 17

jguido
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is this a case of Google’s Factory Reset Protection (FRP)? The feature has been on Android phones since Lollipop 5.1 and is intended to discourage theft. If the phone is factory reset without first removing the Google account the phone will be locked and require the Google account credentials to unlock it.

https://www.getcooltricks.com/android/remove-google-account-smartphone-before-selling/ 

Zyl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@nsmiley wrote:

We purchased a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy A20 one year ago and have used PM since. Recently we sold the phone and the new owner reports that she installed a valid Bell SIM card and received a message that the previous owner has to arrange for the phone to be unlocked before they can use the phone. Is this correct and how do I do that if necessary?

@nsmiley   It's actually your new owner who needs to unlock the phone him/herself.  For some reason, there are Samsung phones that can be locked.  I have seen quite a few posts here regarding locked Samsung phones.  Here is a video that demonstrates how to unlock a Samsung A20 phone:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzjdGh1yB0  Feel free to share it with your purchaser. 

Hope it helps. 

@nsmiley   It could also be Samsung master code it was asking for.  Call Samsung at 1-800-726-7864, The only info you will need to provide for a master unlock was the IMEI and where the phone was purchased

jguido
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you delete your Google account before factory resetting the phone?

@nsmiley 

@makkahn28 @benfatto 

Sorry I meant Samsung. Nice catch.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

nsmiley

Thank you.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 , it appears that it is not the carrier, but Samsung itself

Even Manufacturers should not be permitted to do that

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

What you should do @nsmiley is to Call Samsung, Or, go to your nearest Samsung store, explain the situation and request a means to have the phone unlocked

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@nsmiley 

It is illegal for carrier to lock phone since 2017 and the Samsung A20 started production in 2019. So there seems to be something strange.

The buyer can go to Telus to have it unlocked for free.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

CSA means Customer Service Agent

nsmiley

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid I do not know what CSA refers to.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

That's new, Maybe the Canadian Gov needs to tell the Manufacturers that it's Not permitted and that heavy penalties will happen if they do that

And yes, All handsets must be sold unlocked, The Federal Gov had mandated that phones Must be sold unlocked since they have changed the rules in regards to phones, contracts, hidden fees, etc

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nsmiley : Samsung has been known to do their own lock to the "first" SIM inserted. PM does not lock phones. If you wish to be helpful for the new owner then you could ask the CSA's to provide the code. Or the new owner can go through Samsung to get it unlocked.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. As far as I have been with PM, No, they have never

In fact, I believe No Carrier is allowed since the Federal mandate that ALL phones have to be Unlocked

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Phones have been sold unlocked in Canada since end  of 2017 Dec1st when CRTC made new rules for all providers.

The A20 was realeasd in ,2019 so it is definitely Unlocked...there are multiple locks the person could be getting but it's not a network lock. Maybe they have a pin on on their sim card, who knows..you should ask them exactly what it says on the phone ( maybe even a picture) or tell them to go to Samsung Canada website and open a live chat with their support for assistance.

Need Help? Let's chat.