cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do any issues actually get solved??

RubyA
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been paying for no service since september. Reaching out online and actually making contact with someone is close to impossible. And when I actually did, all that happened was the agent talked in circles... pretty similar to the whole Public Mobile online set up. I had such a good plan that is why i liked them, however when i came back from overseas and reinserted my sim it hasnt been working. I even got a new phone and it was working fine for 3 months. Now all of a sudden it says 'Unregistered sim" and the agent is of no help. I gave him my Imie number and my sim number and asked for an IT person, all he can do is tell me it's a phone issue (phone is unlocked and new) or its a sim issue (sim works in other phones). Now i know the dangers of going with smaller providers.

23 REPLIES 23

HI @Phil_Adelphus 

with the help of cloud backup, a 3 month "old" phone is not too tough a job to reset

With OP tested everything, a reset of the phone could help.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RubyA wrote:

I put the sim in 3 different phones, it works fine in them. The ['inactive' or 'suspended'] phone that i have been using since I returned from overseas is a brand new, unlocked phone.

One of these conclusions must be wrong. If you're getting that SIM error then your phone is locked or your SIM card is not working.

Can you test a different, working SIM card from another provider in your iPhone? Maybe borrow one from a friend or family, it only takes a couple minutes to install SIM card and reboot, dial and answer a call, send and receive a text, return SIM card and reboot again. This will confirm/deny the fault being on the phone.

Also ... you should probably login to Self-Serve, confirm that the account and service attached to the SIM are active since the SIM for suspended/expired/terminated account obviously won't work in any phone. And confirm that the phone is not blacklisted (flagged as lost/stolen/etc), since I suspect that such a phone would behave like yours (no function, unhelpful and ambiguous error message). While you're in Self-Serve, it would not be a bad idea to change your login password, just to be overkill on your troubleshooting.

@hTideGnow   Right, although the "new" phone has apparently been working for 3 months before it decided the sim was unregistered so there may still be stuff to lose on it.  I had to do a factory reset once to try and fix something as advised by customer service at another provider but it was such a pain doing all the back-up first and didn't fix the problem either, unfortunately.

HI @Phil_Adelphus 

True, but I see OP tried many things already.  and it is a new phone, I would think it is less trouble even phone is reset since it is a new phone

@hTideGnow  "Try to Reset the phone to Factory default once with your PM sim card inside. "

Wouldn't that be an absolutely last resort since it wipes everything?  The error message is "unregistered sim"

HI @RubyA 

what is the error message?

Try to Reset the phone to Factory default once with your PM sim card inside. 

@RubyA wrote:

I put the sim in 3 different phones, it works fine in them. The phone that i have been using since I returned from overseas is a brand new, unlocked phone. 

@RubyA 

Make sure all non-PM esim are disabled (or even deleted)

Also, make sure all VPN Profiles are deleted.   The VPN profile is a common issue when people come back from travel

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@RubyA 

try deleting any overseas sim information. reset your network settings and delete the APN values. especially if there are other providers stored on the device

@RubyA  So, to confirm (1) the PM sim card works in other phones and (2) the phone with the problem works with other sims.  Are the other sims that work in it from Telus, Koodo or PM?  

Did you get around to checking devicecheck.ca?

RubyA

My original phone is an Iphone 8 plus, so yes it is old. My new phone in which the sim has been working is a Samsung Galaxy S23, other sims work in this phone.. just the weird message today after so long is very confusing.

RubyA

Everything works fine with other sim cards...

RubyA

I put the sim in 3 different phones, it works fine in them. The phone that i have been using since I returned from overseas is a brand new, unlocked phone. I could order a new sim, but if my phone is 'inactive' or 'suspended', I don't know what good that would do. I just wanted the CS to let me know..

RubyA

My phone was an iphone, and I took out my sim card to used a local one when I was traveling. When i returned to canada, I put the PM sim back in my Iphone, but it was not connecting; "No Service", this was in September and I contacted PM many times, I even contacted Telus and went to the Apple store. So my husband gave me a brand new samsung to use and the sim was working in that fine, for the past 3 months. The samsung is unlocked and new, the sim works in other phones. However today the message on my samsung is saying the sim is unregistered. I have told the CS this and asked if he can check my account but he just seems interested in arguing back and forth for the entire day with me instead.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Did the account deactivate when you were overseas? After 90 days of mon payment the account closes and the sim becomes invalid. Once a sim is deactivated it cannot be activated again, so you'll need a new sim.

If you do end up getting a new sim, do not order it directly from Public Mobile, otherwise you'll have a whole other problem on your hands. Find a local corporate Telus or Koodo store to see if they have stock, or order from Amazon.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@RubyA   " when i came back from overseas and reinserted my sim it hasnt been working. I even got a new phone and it was working fine for 3 months. Now all of a sudden it says 'Unregistered sim"

Can you clarify please?  The phone wasn't working when you came back from overseas, so when was it working fine for 3 months?   Have you confirmed that your PM account is still active?  I imagine the CS agent would have done that but just to be sure.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RubyA 

"Unregistered SIM" (and "Invalid SIM", and "SIM not recognized") always indicates one of two things:

1) The phone is carrier-locked. Will only work with SIM cards issued by the operator which installed the lock. Contrary to what the owner of the phone might believe, might have been told, might have been promised.

2) The SIM card is faulty. They're made as cheap as possible, about $0.12 each in bulk. And they're deliberately engineered to fail in certain circumstances (for security reasons).

You can test your PM SIM card in another working phone which you know is unlocked. (A phone which you can confirm works with SIM cards from two or more different networks/providers.)

You can order a new PM SIM card, login Self-Serve to activate it, then stick it in your phone and reboot.

I think there's really nothing that PM can do for you, aside from perhaps sending you a PM SIM card or credit on your account for the price of a PM SIM card.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@RubyA , where precisely did you attain the phone from?   A private seller, or a store?

What happens when you use another SIM card (from another provider) in the device?   Do all calling functions (calling, texting, & data) function?

@maximum_gato- I had a weird calling-in problem. Not sure about this one.

@RubyA- Maybe run that IMEI through devicecheck.ca to rule that out.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Interesting...

Every issue I had was resolved in a timely manner to my full benefit and satisfaction. I never expected issue to be resolved within 5 minutes and some took few days but at the end 100% satisfaction.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@RubyA 

It sounds slightly similar to a weird glitch that @dust2dust had with their phone that required a fair amount of troubleshooting with a telus tech along with other community members brainstorming a possible fix.

What is the make and model of your device? Did the most recent issue occur immediately after renewal? Do other providers Sim cards also work in your phone? ie. Bell or Roger's?

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is not a solution just a suggestion

Perhaps try getting a new sim and using that one instead. It could be a issue on PM’s side or just the sim itself.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @RubyA 

Go to your PM and click on the inbox arrow to where it says sent. Click on the very last message that was sent and say you would like to escalate this to a manager and you'd like to be called. Force their hand!

Need Help? Let's chat.