cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed conversations

KenAdams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I keep forgetting to come to my community and asking this.

For the longest time my calls with people have always had a 2-3 second delay in conversations and we tend to always talk over each other. I've reset my phone, not sure what else I can do. Maybe I need a network reset? I use a Kyocera flip phone. Not the crappy one, the good one. LOL.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Ken

11 REPLIES 11

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KenAdams glad to hear you have positive results from the different handset!   Sounds like your iPhone is working great with no latency issues.  I would really give it a few more days with some more calls and if possible different areas.  If all is good after a few days I would do the following:

1) Put the SIM back into the flip phone and confirm the latency is there or not (taking the SIM in and out may have fixed it)

2) If latency issues continue see if there is a phone reset option in the menu (note you may lose info/texts/contacts etc)

3) If you reset your device see if this resolves the latency, if it doesn't, then toss the kyocera like a football into the green electronics recycling bin 😁

There are no "adjustments" per se.  These flip phones use a very low cost and low end system on chip with lower quality radio units as compared to your "luxury" iPhone and other smartphones. 

The other possibility is that there may be a firmware update for your Kyocera which may resolve these latency issues.  But given the low cost nature of this device, probably best to move on with something new if it comes to that...unless of course you love to tinker with tech. 😃

Please mark a solution for this thread once you are done with your testing and if there are no further questions.  

KenAdams

So I've made one call so far so I'm only basing it off of that as I haven't had to make any calls yet today. It was an instant conversation. No delays at all. I used my iPhone SE 2020 to make the call. The other phone I used is a flip phone I use is a Kyocera E4710C which is that rugged phone you can toss like a football. LOL.

So with this info I assume the flip phone is the problem? Someone mentioned QoS being high? Is that something I can adjust on the flip phone or....   thanks again.

And yes @Kristowhy , I need a stronger blend of coffee! lol

Kristowhy

@KenAdams Sounds like you need a stronger coffee blend! 😁

Calls to other mobile devices and Voip lines will always have some latency compared to a traditional landline, but there is something wrong when latency reaches into the 2000ms to 3000ms (2-3 sec) range. 

My hunch is your flip phone is the culprit here. 

Look forward to hearing how the swap turns out!  Gluck. 

KenAdams

Sorry @hTideGnow and @hTideFnow , you guys wanna be alone? We can turn off our monitors for like an hour if you want some privacy. 🙂

hTideFnow
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@KenAdams 

reset network, and update phone and reboot phone and trying your sim in other phone.

KenAdams

Latency...  that's the word I was trying to think of. Man. 2 cups of coffee did NOTHING for me today!!

I honestly don't know what my customers use. I just call what ever number they give.

But I will swap my sim to my iPhone tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Will report back. 🙂

Thank you @Kristowhy and @computergeek541 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This sounds like a device issue.  Voice traffic QoS is high.  

KenAdams

Home and work are the only two places I use this phone. Will have to swap out to my iPhone for a test.

Kristowhy

@KenAdams just to clarify, do you experience this latency/lag with all calls to landlines, other cell phones, VoIP lines and in different geographical areas?

I would definitely try your SIM in another phone as previously recommended.

Does this happen in all locations?  Checking for that and trying your SIM card in another device would help to isolate possible network and phone hardware issues.

Need Help? Let's chat.