cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debating Plan Change from 120$ for 12gb

vbobo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So I'm a tad stuck now. For months everything was fine. Now I'm starting to use more data then previously and I think I finally need to upgrade my plan to compensate for that. I got lucky and got the 12gb for 90 days at 120$. 

Hows the public mobile 3g service? The best deal I see is 52$ (before auto pay and savings) for 6gb at 30 days. I think 6gb would be the perfect cut off to be fair! Seems to me I use anywhere between 5-6gbs a month depending on how much snapchat I incorporate. Would the 3g service be fast enough for the occassional video on youtube, reddit browsing, emailing and web browsing? I'm a big time reddit user and web browser so if I can do the both of those without troubles I rather switch to 3g for the price. Also is that bonus 2gb forever (so long as you stay on the plan)? 

I'll probably wait it out to see if PM does any sort of extra gbs added to all plans over blackfriday sale before I completely decide. 

17 REPLIES 17

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yes u keep autopay

So 120 -all visible reward= top-up $

vbobo

Add funds including my discounts I receive? Would that still keep the autopay discount? 

mimmo

To renew early you need to add funds first then ask the mods to renew.  I would ask about 2 days early. Just to give you a little time.

vbobo

I seriously did not know this was even an option. Might actually just go this route. So if I was running close to my data cap at the 2 month mark, I would message the mods and they would just go ahead and charge me for a renewal at what I pay (Making it approx 60$ a month for "6gb theoretically")? Is there a limit to how many times this can be done? How many days in advance should I message the mods for this? 

@MEU_21 wrote:

If you have a dual SIM phone, you may want to consider alternative providers. For roughly the same price, there are some good deals out there for tablet plans with more data... and for now, you could get a free tablet while you're at it.

Just a word of caution: not all dual SIM phones can run LTE on both slots. YMMV, of course.

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have a dual SIM phone, you may want to consider alternative providers. For roughly the same price, there are some good deals out there for tablet plans with more data... and for now, you could get a free tablet while you're at it.

mimmo

@vbobo another option would be to ask the mods to renew your plan early once you reach(close to reaching your data limit)  if you used 12 gb over 2 months vs 3 you would be paying $60/month vs $40.   It is a little more costly than the 3g 6gb but that is assuming you use 6gb every month if you you use less then the cost/month is reduced.

current plans for 6gb @3g= 52,  5gb@LTE =62  

@vbobo, what type of confirmation do you need if it is LTE Lite and not 3G?  PM does not offer 3G data so yes it is the Throttled LTE.  As well I think it was stated but the 12GB+6GB bonus for $150 would be a better deal saving another $2 a month.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

vbobo

Can I get confirmation that the 4gb+ 2gb bonus at 52$ is indeed 6gb a month of data at LTE lite?

scottdanpor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I had to choose between the same price, same data amount, 3g speeds or LTE speeds I would choose the 3g (LTE Lite).

Browsing is the same speed, video streaming is just as fast (though lower quality, which is not always easy to distinguish on a small screen).

If you switch from 4GB LTE to 4GB 3G (LTE lite) you will automatically use less data, since your phone uses more data when it has access to higher speeds.  You can probably go from 6GB/month LTE to 4GB/month 3G and use your phone the same way you did before.  It will use lower quality streams and consume less data by default.

The data caps in Canada are outrageously expensive, so I would ask your provider if you can get your speed lowered if possible to offset this.  High speed burning through your data cap within days or a week is not helpful. 

They keep bragging about their speeds while increasing the prices for data, I prefer to have lower speeds and larger data caps. I did go from full LTE to LTE Lite (3g) and very much prefer the throttled data, I can use my phone much more with less worry about hitting the data cap.

@vbobo, here are some good threads for your research as to what is best for you.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/3G-vs-4G-LTE-What-speed-is-right-for-y...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you do decide to switch, you could do well by 'selling' your current plan to someone else. I am not interested.

If you or someone else sets up another in market plan at PM, you can later ask a MOD to do a phone number switch between the 2 plans.

koimr1

Yes definitely do some more research, I've read that some have had renewal issues being on the 3G plan that are still ongoing.

Maybe you could keep your current plan but start a new 3G one and test it out to see, porting your number (and back if necessary) if it suits/doesn't suit you.

Personally I'd hold on tight to your current plan - I'd love to be wrong but I don't think we'll see anything close to that again.

vbobo

It is definitely a tough decision on if I want to change out plans to a slower LTE one. 

I need to do more research on PMs 3G speeds to see if having 6gb at lte lite is worth it over full LTE but only 4gb. 

Also I understand my plan is 12gb/90 days. So not necessarily 4gb a month. I’m just using that as a basis for the upgrade. Any more opinions would definitely be appreciated!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@vbobo, first off it isn't a 3G connection you are still on LTE it is just throttled down.  The Oracles have run the 3G or LTE Light most of us here call it and had no issues with the performance of it.  You can do a search for the threads through the forum.  I wish I had bookmarked them myself to help others out that are in the same situation as you are.

Taekgun

@vbobo

I'd be hard pressed to give up that $120/90 day plan but if you think that making the switch makes sense.

As for the 3G service, there was initially a lot of skepticism on how good it would be but the reviews by those that have it has been great.  Really it is throttled-LTE so you have the latency of LTE which is great.

Any bonus (other than the 1GB promo that just wrapped up) is good for as long as you are on this plan.  Make sure you are looking at the offering correctly as the 3G plan you are referring to 4GB + 2GB bonus) is for 30 days, not 90 days which is a more expensive plan.  The 12GB + 6GB bonus for $150/90 days ($50/30 days) would give you the increased data - just want to make sure you are looking at the right one.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

3G is considerably slower than LTE.  Definitely fast enough for everyday browsing and checking your email, but you will notice a difference if you do things like watch videos on youtube.

For LTE speed, I don't think you will ever do better than $120/12GB/90days.  Upgrading to the $180/15GB/90days probably isn't worth it for the price.  The 3G price for 6GB/90days is pretty good, but still more than you are paying now.

I think it just depends on how fast you want your service to be!

Need Help? Let's chat.