Did you mean: 

Data wont turn on

DougH43
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My sim card says Telus network. The phone works but I cant turn

mobile data on

7 REPLIES 7

@computergeek541 

I've seen the "Telus" banner many times. Sometimes when I tested my PM SIM card in someone else's phone (anecdotally seems roughly 50/50 "Telus" vs "Public Mobile"). Always when I did hard-resets on my old phone. Also when I first put my PM SIM card into my new phone. It always changed itself to "Public Mobile" or "Public Mobile 3G" after a while.

I've put my PM SIM card into a SIM card reader ... MNC0=220, MNC1=760 ... one of those values indicates Public Mobile, neither indicates Telus Mobility, I haven't found any "Public" or "Telus" plaintext ID descriptors stored anywhere on the card so they must be retrieved from the network itself.

Maybe this has something to do with dual-SIM devices? Although the other slot I've populated on my phone is an Xplornet SIM card - not Telus - and I've seen the "Telus" banner on other peoples' phones which have only one SIM slot.

Maybe it depends on the device or the operating system version? Countless combinations of brands, models, versions, and updates exist - it's impossible to guarantee they're all perfectly configured in every technical detail in every country they're sold, even when they're supplied through the mobile operators.

Maybe it depends on the local network hardware? Telus and Bell (and SaskTel, etc) towers are basically interchangeable from the subscriber's perspective ... but each cell site and each company and each municipality and each province set up the same things a little differently. For all I know, no one else has noticed a trivial parameter which might have been misconfigured by a local Telus tech - or maybe different network machinery at different network sites support/transmit this feature in slightly different/incompatible ways.

@Korth wrote:

The "Telus" banner at the top is not unusual. It will change itself to "Public Mobile 3G" after a day or three. Public Mobile is a Telus subsidiary, Public Mobile subscribers all get Telus network coverage.

This isn't going to change itself. The network name in the homescreen banner can be dependent on the instructions provided by the SIM card. However, the device itself can override that depnding on the way that the software is programmed. Also,  It wouldn't necessarily go to the 3g network, at least not until a phone call is in progress, as Public Mobile offers all services other than voice on both the 3g and LTE networks.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@DougH43 

You need to change some phone settings.

Configure the APN settings. Turn mobile data ON. Restart device.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-should-do-after-activating

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

The "Telus" banner at the top is not unusual. It will change itself to "Public Mobile 3G" after a day or three. Public Mobile is a Telus subsidiary, Public Mobile subscribers all get Telus network coverage.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DougH43 wrote:

My sim card says Telus network. The phone works but I cant turn

mobile data on

@DougH43  - has it worked previously?

Check to ensure you have data left on your plan on your self serve account, showing under your overview area here:

esjliv_0-1601935725902.png

If a data line does not show up, then that normally means you used up your data for this cycle.

If your data line does show up, can you try below:

• restart your phone
  • toggle into/out of airplane mode
  • reset your devices' network settings
  • try your SIM into another phone to see if data works

Perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

If after other suggestions, check your apn settings: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles?q=apn

edit, i'll add this, just because...ensure the data option is turn on in the device settings.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Did you just activate? Port number?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@DougH43 

You don't want to be connected to "telus" your data won't work. What is the make and model of your phone? What OS version do you have? You will need to edit your APN.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

PM is the lower tier of Telus but your phone should show Public.

What phone do you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.