cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data used on activation

HannaG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my sim card and looked at my account information and it has already used 5.29mb of data and I haven't done anything yet.  My phone is in Wifi.  Can anyone explain why this happens?  I'm on the lowest data plan of only 250mb so every mb counts.  I was just curious.

6 REPLIES 6

JosephineT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

check your settings in your phone.

katajam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have wifi at home and I only go outside twice a week. How did I have data usage every day then? I talked my personal experience; yours seem to be different than mine.

@katajam 

PM does not update the data usage constantly.  In fact, it only update it twice a day. 

So, any entry you see is just a total usage between that timestamp and the timestamp of the previous entry.  The late evening  usage  you see on the Usage log does not mean it was used during that exact time but it is a total usage for the last 12 hours.

Also, for correct usage reading, always use Incognito mode to login My Account to avoid reading cached old info

katajam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It used to happen to me. Every night around 11pm it took some data from me when I was sleeping. So I just turn off my data when I don't use it. No data loss since then.

@HannaG wrote:

I just activated my sim card and looked at my account information and it has already used 5.29mb of data and I haven't done anything yet.  My phone is in Wifi.  Can anyone explain why this happens?  I'm on the lowest data plan of only 250mb so every mb counts.  I was just curious.

Ignore it. It hasn't been really used up. This is a strange thing that the Self Serve website does but that 5.29MB hasn't really been deducted from the 250MB.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you also have your cell data turned on even though you're using wifi? That's a buffer that the system takes. It's not really, really used and taken, it's a short term temporary buffer. If you turn off data and go in and out of airplane mode then it will go back down to an even more minimal number.

Need Help? Let's chat.