cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

newtodata
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I started public with 250mb, then 2GB was added in the holiday bonus - I have no idea what I'm doing.  Never used data before.  Playing around on phone then got message 'limit reached-data usage paused for rest of cycle'.  However when looking in account usage the 2GB shows 0 used and the 250mb shows 36 left??  Help please

5 REPLIES 5

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@newtodata 

Well that was probably a good thing that you already had your data limiter set without really knowing it. It can save a costly mistake. I have lots of free bonus data add ons on my two accounts. 20gb+ on one and almost as much on the other.

I always have my data warning and limiter set to my plan data.....like yours 250mb. I set the warning at 100mb and the limiter at 200mb. This way I get warned of an apps high usage and if I miss that my data will just stop before I have used all of my plan data leaving me with a little to spare and I can reset to 250mb.

Most importantly listening to music on YouTube on wifi at home and accidently disconnecting and switching to mobile data without noticing I don't have to worry about burning thru $250 worth of add on data before I get a 75% usage warning from pm. My limiter will just stop it at the conservative level that I set it at.

This should help you manage your data.....

Spoiler

Here is some more tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@newtodata wrote:

I started public with 250mb, then 2GB was added in the holiday bonus - I have no idea what I'm doing.  Never used data before.  Playing around on phone then got message 'limit reached-data usage paused for rest of cycle'.  However when looking in account usage the 2GB shows 0 used and the 250mb shows 36 left??  Help please

@newtodata  - go by what your Self Serve account overview area says - it would be the most live, accurate information.

And best to check your Data Limiter on your phone device to see it's warnings/restrictions.

If you unfamiliar with Data, first thing is first, find the DATA option on your phone device, found in your settings.

Usually looks something like this:

esjliv_0-1640029102075.png

To test if your data works, turn off your wifi option, then try to go on the internet. If you can navigate the internet than you are set to use your data.

NOW, turn your wifi option back on - you don't want to forget that off, as it will eat up your DATA.

A good practice is to always have the DATA Option turned OFF, and only turn it on when you want to use it.

Happy surfing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@newtodata 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@newtodata 

Your phone itself has an option to limit data use for each cycle.  You have enough Public mobile data, but in your phone settings, your data limit has been reached.  You should be able to increase that setting or even shut it down completely if you don't need that phone option.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@newtodata wrote:

@newtodata  Your data will be taken from the regular 250 MB first.  Until it is fully used, it will start using it from the 2GB.    Left over will roll over to next cycle until all used up

For the message you got .. did you get it from PM text?  and you really cannot continue using data?  try reboot and see if it helps

Also, if you are on Android, confirm if you have setup a Data Limit.  If you did, check the cycle start date is correct.  PM running on 30 days cycle and the phone uses monthly, so the date mismatch will result in early data cutoff.. but the cutoff is on the device level and not form PM..

Need Help? Let's chat.