cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage??

Capnjon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I get messages saying I have used 95% of my data usage. I ONLY use this phone for an occasional phone call. I do not text, message, play games or do anything other than as an emergency phone. Why am I being told that I'm using data, when I'm not ? 

10 REPLIES 10

@gblackma wrote:

@ChuckYeah , @dabr I actually meant WiFi. I inadvertently turned off my WiFi off last month and ran through a 100 megs of data before I realized what I had done. 

Of course, having wifi off would mean all the updates and apps would need to use data!  Makes sense;)

scorpio17
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

GPS does not drain your data. Only some aps, like Google Maps, could do it and these aps drain data with and without GPS. You could use Google Maps in WiFi only mode and save data. No need to turn off GPS.

@Triguy wrote:

Make sure you turn off auto updates for apps and also turn off gps.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@ChuckYeah , @dabr I actually meant WiFi. I inadvertently turned off my WiFi off last month and ran through a 100 megs of data before I realized what I had done. 

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@Capnjon Could you please check to see if your WiFi (@gblackma meant data) is turned off?  Thanks. 

@Capnjon wrote:

I get messages saying I have used 95% of my data usage. I ONLY use this phone for an occasional phone call. I do not text, message, play games or do anything other than as an emergency phone. Why am I being told that I'm using data, when I'm not ? 

Lol!  Good catch @ChuckYeah  I didn't notice the wifi and read it as data, but I'm sure that's what @gblackma meant:)

@gblackma wrote:

@Capnjon Could you please check to see if your WiFi (@gblackma meant data) is turned off?  Thanks. 

@Capnjon wrote:

@Capnjon Resetting and upgrading my old phone for private sale once cost me 120 MB or my 250MB on one of my accounts. If you're not using picture messaging or group messaging, just turn data off or maybe turn it on when you want to use it.

Key is to ensure your data is off. After that disappointment, I checked it every time I turned it on. Now I am in a habit of turning it on and off as I need it and I do not worry about it any more.

Out of curiousity, when was your last renewal date or is this your first month? 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Make sure you turn off auto updates for apps and also turn off gps.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Capnjon Could you please check to see if your WiFi is turned off?  Thanks. 

@Capnjon wrote:

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Capnjon wrote:

Your updates could be using data unless you have enabled them to update on wifi only.  Also have you restricted your background data too?  For more control turn your data off until you need it.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Capnjon Is your data off on your phone? If on, your apps could update themselves. Check your self-service account. How many MB/GB is left ?

Need Help? Let's chat.