cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage strangeness

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey, I am a new user, and this is my first post. I am looking forward to being part of this community 🙂

I have noticed something potentially strange with my data usage and wanted to get some feedback/troubleshooting tips from you all.

I am using my Public Mobile line as an emergency home phone, so the SIM card is in a ZTE wireless home phone base. This one specifically - https://ztecanada.com/zte-wireless-home-phone/ - and it does not support text/data; it's voice-only.

Therefore, I wasn't expecting the data portion of my plan to be used at all. However, interestingly, Self-Serve has been showing a small amount of data usage daily (25-30MB/day) every day since I activated my service.

I am wondering if the device might be "phoning home" or checking for firmware updates, but it would seem weird that it would do that when ZTE markets the device as a wireless home phone with no text/data capabilities. Also, the time of day of the data usage reported in Self-Serve is different every day.

Any ideas about what might be happening here?

(I am thinking about turning the device off/removing the SIM card from the device for a few days to see if this pattern continues)

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@411 hybrid Autopay are basically manual top up but still have Autopay turned on to take advantage of the $2 discount.  even Autopay is enabled, ppl still choose to manual pay ahead of the payment date as they don't want any Autopay failure that might result in service interruption.  it could be a bit of work to remind yourself to pay on time as PM is running on 30 days schedule.

@CountyDownIeUk curious, what is your file for your referral customers?

@411 wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk

There are ways to manage the freebie texts. And I would suggest that you use the hybrid Auto-pay option. 

The freebie texts are something I have been thinking about as well. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to "manage it" if you don't mind sharing.

For freebies you have to keep watching here. OR have a feed app like Feedly pick up all the COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS. You will see them there along with plan changes and promos. So I "assumed" if I took my SIM out of my ZTE box that I would see the text on my phone...NOT.....so since I had received the texts to my other 2 phones I took a gamble and texted the word YES to 4911 and it worked!! And the other option that I preferred to not want to do...but would have...is to contact a CSA. 

Would you also mind explaining what hybrid AutoPay is? Is it different from regular AutoPay? (I tried searching the community but couldn't find anything relevant)

Yes it is something that you have to manage every month of every couple of months by doing a top up. I will PM you with my file for my new referral customers. And it will explain it. And since you have no texting...you cannot rely on the PM text reminders. 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@411 

review holiday gifts [Update] More is Merrier is back! (publicmobile.ca)

because that your device not has SMS then you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, to Add for you

Spoiler

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent 

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • account 4 digit pin,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: Public Mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

but you can review General Reward Rules - Community (publicmobile.ca)

For Set up AutoPay (publicmobile.ca)

Good Luck......

@CountyDownIeUk

There are ways to manage the freebie texts. And I would suggest that you use the hybrid Auto-pay option. 

The freebie texts are something I have been thinking about as well. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to "manage it" if you don't mind sharing.

Would you also mind explaining what hybrid AutoPay is? Is it different from regular AutoPay? (I tried searching the community but couldn't find anything relevant)

Thanks!

@Anonymous  / @CountyDownIeUk
Thank you both for your replies!

I am aware that I won't incur any extra charges in this case, but I just found it strange to see any data usage at all.

And do keep in mind if you do not plan on swapping the SIM back and forth to a phone then it makes no difference

I am not planning on using this SIM in a phone in the short term. However, who knows what will change in the longer term. I was hoping to "save up" the one-time bonus data to use in the future, but if this issue persists, all of it will be gone too.

Good to know that you are not seeing this problem with your WF721, though! I'll keep monitoring for the next few days and see if anything changes.

Hi. I am using a ZTE WF721. 

It cannot use Data nor can it be used for inbound/outbound texting. 

The texting is an issue for freebies and all the other regular texts that PM will send you. 

I do check my account every now and then and see no Data Usage...

And do keep in mind if you do not plan on swapping the SIM back and forth to a phone then it makes no difference as once the data is used up...it's gone....no extra charge. 

See pic...I am 6 days into my cycle. Zero data usage. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 12.33.58 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@411 

Data usage is will showing in your account every 12 hr, don't worry about it,

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

Need Help? Let's chat.