cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data throttled from 4G to 3G sometimes?

Old4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 3G data plan. I do realize that it's throttled down from 4G but have noticed that the data speed on my phone sometimes shows 3G and other time LTE. Does this explain why my data speed seems to very.

NOTE: Thanks to all for advice --- will set my phone's voice/ data to 3G and try it for a few days.

12 REPLIES 12

That's fine, LTE is 4G

I would say that's a sign of a weak signal. I've had that in rural areas.

Old4

As I mentioned in my OP - sometimes it shows 3G and other times LTE - I have also tried a 4G plan and  for day to day use I did not notice a significant speed increase. However I did not try streaming a Netflix movie or anything close to that. 

When you select LTE do you see any mention of voice and data? When you select LTE and turn off wifi and make a call do you see LTE in the top bar?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Old4  Then in that case I’d pick LTE 

Old4

@sheytoon wrote:

@Old4 it's been a confusing marketing tactic for a long time.

There are speed plans that you sign up for, but that is only a speed limit, it has no impact on which technology your phone can use. All plans can use 3G, 4G, 5G.

"3G speed" plans are limited to 3 Mbps.

"4G speed" plans are limited to 100 Mbps.

"5G speed" plans are limited to 250 Mbps.

No need to lock your phone to any specific technology, just leave it on auto.

My iPhone 8 cellular data options options only show LTE or 3G - 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Except changing down to 3G/HSPA/WCDMA. That speed seems to be unthrottled. Faster than the throttled 3G speed on LTE or 5G and yes with more latency. But then if you have volte enabled then that wouldn't work.

@Old4 

no, it is actually best to set it as Automatic.  Some location might not have good 3G signals, but better LTE or 5G.  hence, automatic has less headache

We usually set to 3G ONLY if there is problem with voice, 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Old4 it's been a confusing marketing tactic for a long time.

There are speed plans that you sign up for, but that is only a speed limit, it has no impact on which technology your phone can use. All plans can use 3G, 4G, 5G.

"3G speed" plans are limited to 3 Mbps.

"4G speed" plans are limited to 100 Mbps.

"5G speed" plans are limited to 250 Mbps.

No need to lock your phone to any specific technology, just leave it on auto.

Old4

So if one is on a 3G plan then it would best to set your phones setting to 3G? However if the latency increases isn't that a bad thing?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Old4   

In fact, what happened was your phone has set to Automatic for Preferred network type/network mode.  It will usually use the "highest" one first, like 5G or LTE.  But if the connection fails , your phone will go to 3G.  Also, when we are no voice call, the phone will go to 3G as our voice are using 3G (unless VoLTE is enabled and used on a voLTE compatible device)

So, what you see should be normal.  And even you are using LTE or 5G, your data speed will still be capped at 3Mpbs as you are on the 3G speed plan.    On the other hand, if you set to 3G only, your data speed will be higher, around 15Mpbs, except the latency will be higher

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Old4  Regardless of what you phone displays 3G4G/LTE 5G you will only get the data speed you’re paying for . Only time speeds is truly throttled is in a 5G service plan with unlimited data that you used the 30or 90 day data Bucket up and the it’s throttled to 512kbps

Need Help? Let's chat.