cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speeds Nov 2021

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi all,

It's clearly noted that PM provides mobile data services on the Telus LTE network but throttled to 3G speeds....I believe it's up to 3Mbit/sec up and down.  Being a new subscriber since September with a new handset I wanted to see what actual data speeds I was getting.

Test device: Moto G Play 2021 (Android 11 with X11 LTE modem supporting up to 390Mbps) and new SIM ordered directly from PM in Sept.

Tested outdoors with full signal bars with the Ookla Speedtest app.

Screenshot_20211127-121041 (2).png

Looks like all is working as it should!  5Mbit/sec would be ideal but for a non-demanding use case this is more that sufficient.  Bring on VoLTE!!

20 REPLIES 20

@sheytoon wrote:

@hTideGnow Their math is also wrong. At 3 Mbps, a 5 MB file would be downloaded in 13.3 seconds.

Blame the source (but the source has a different number, too. 🤔)

https://go.verizon.com/business/internet/3-mbps

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

@hTideGnow Their math is also wrong. At 3 Mbps, a 5 MB file would be downloaded in 13.3 seconds.

Sadly I think public/telus do not care at this point, but we all can dream of better speeds and more features.

XionBunny

@Kristowhy wrote:

@XionBunny wrote:

Oh, the joy of scripted responses that never end.

Seriously...especially when it's not even up to date info! 😂 

Where is the down vote icon!?!? 😎

they seriously need that feature, everyone should request that XD

Kristowhy

@LeePublic wrote:

Kind of wish we could get upgraded speeds as I have someone who is interested in coming to PM but her hesitation is the 3G speed. I kept telling her it is LTE but speed capped.

Get her a SIM and have her do a test with a new number activation to see how she likes it.  Every month she waits means wasted $ which could have gone towards a test and better chances of a cheaper outcome!

If she is doing heavy Utube/Netlfix/video streaming (in above 720p resolutions) then probably best to avoid, but for most other use cases 3MB up/down is more than enough.  What apps does she use and how much data per month needed?

@Kristowhy 

That was from the spring. I would even consider testing the speed on my $10 account which is full speed 4G LTE data if I can ever find where the heck my A3 is in my house.

talking about wasting time,   bravo to @sheytoon  for actually reading the long reply.. 

Wow, I had no idea my cell phone was running on a DSL line!!!

All those years of engineering school were such a waste of time 😂

@LeePublic wrote:

Kind of wish we could get upgraded speeds as I have someone who is interested in coming to PM but her hesitation is the 3G speed. I kept telling her it is LTE but speed capped.

3Mbps speed is enough for regular browser or Voip Calls or video calls.   Of course, faster is better  🙂

Kristowhy

@darlicious wrote:

@Kristowhy 

Every once in awhile after renewal or reactivation an account will glitch and get full speed 4G LTE. I had one getting regular 60mbps for a few months then the last time  reactivated the account it was back down to mbps. It was nice while it lasted but those speed tests can easily use 300mb per test.

Wow...very nice looking speeds and latency is closing in on single digits  Is that current or a screenshot from the past?

LeePublic

@Kristowhy 

Every once in awhile after renewal or reactivation an account will glitch and get full speed 4G LTE. I had one getting regular 60mbps for a few months then the last time  reactivated the account it was back down to mbps. It was nice while it lasted but those speed tests can easily use 300mb per test.

$30 plan at supposed to be throttled 4G LTE speed.$30 plan at supposed to be throttled 4G LTE speed.

Kristowhy

@XionBunny wrote:

Seriously...especially when it's not even up to date info! 😂 

Where is the down vote icon!?!? 😎

Kristowhy

@softech wrote:

@Kristowhy wrote:

Looks like all is working as it should!  5Mbit/sec would be ideal but for a non-demanding use case this is more that sufficient.  Bring on VoLTE!!

I hope they would up the speed a bit soon, too.  But I guess depend on will make the move first out of the three Tier 3 providers

As to VoLTE... i will come, they have no choice.. the end of 3G is coming, so, either they start VoLTE or it will be the end of PM, too.  Again, the three Tier 3 providers likely holding and see who will make the move first and will follow.. and in this case, likely they will all delay it till they can not delay any longer.

Yes...bumping up to 5Mbit would be a nice way to differentiate from Chatr (3Mbit as well).

Gotta love the collusion by our lovely and world famous telcom oligopoly! 😂  With Canada delaying the 3G shutdown a bit longer than our US neighbours it will definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds.  3G shutdown is also a great way to increase handset sales to those with older devices lacking VoLTE support.

Kristowhy

@XionBunny wrote:

speed tests are nice and all, and that speed is indeed normal for us here, but be careful with doing them often as it eats your data very quickly.

Yeah...am aware.  This device is on the $15 plan with 250MB and a couple of tests only used about 30MB.  No need to test again.

@XionBunny wrote:

And the copy and paste of the non customized  script. 

Hey Siri type in script 7a. 

XionBunny

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kristowhy 

3 Mbps internet provides download speeds at 3 megabits/second and upload speeds up to 768 kilobits/second. At this rate, a 5 MB file would download in about 8 seconds. This speed runs on a DSL line and benefits single-person businesses that require light to average online activity and minimal HD video streaming.

for public mobile Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

if you have a slow speed you can try to do reset network and Changing APN Settings,
Spoiler
How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kristowhy wrote:

I hope they would up the speed a bit soon, too.  But I guess depend on will make the move first out of the three Tier 3 providers

As to VoLTE... i will come, they have no choice.. the end of 3G is coming, so, either they start VoLTE or it will be the end of PM, too.  Again, the three Tier 3 providers likely holding and see who will make the move first and will follow.. and in this case, likely they will all delay it till they can not delay any longer.

XionBunny

speed tests are nice and all, and that speed is indeed normal for us here, but be careful with doing them often as it eats your data very quickly.

Need Help? Let's chat.