cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data showing up as used

PSF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just checked my account I signed up on December 21st 2019 it says I have used 5.294 of data yet I have not even turned on my data on my phone yet why would it be using any data at all? 

17 REPLIES 17

PSF

Huawei Mate 20X

PSF

Yes I understand I never turned it on though not yet    and after I saw the 0. 001 then I flipped airplane mode on to see if it will go back to 0

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PSF wrote:

They must have fixed it today self serve says 0.001 but not  0

Yes. It likely resets overnight on its own or something. Restarting or airplane mode forces a reset of the counter.

I would still maintain that the phone was in data mode somehow. Maybe an app or the OS on insertion of the new SIM. But .001 is pretty much nothing. Just a mild curiosity.

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What phone are you using?

If it's an iphone and you do a system update, after you reboot your phone, apple will turn on your data by default.

PSF

They must have fixed it today self serve says 0.001 but not  0

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PSF wrote:

Honestly I never turned it on at all and it's still off

Did you restart the phone or use airplane mode? Then check the counter?

PSF

Honestly I never turned it on at all and it's still off

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PSF wrote:

I never ever enabled it yet it's always been off

Keep data off and then flip in and out of airplane mode and then look at the counter on your self-serve.

I really gotta think that data had been turned on. It would otherwise just stay at zero.

It's a 5.293MB running buffer that keep getting taken for every chunk of data you use. Just turning data on will always use a small amount of data.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@PSF wrote:

I just checked my account I signed up on December 21st 2019 it says I have used 5.294 of data yet I have not even turned on my data on my phone yet why would it be using any data at all? 

Don't worry, it's a data buffer. You still will use all your data according to phone plan despite these 5mb record.

@PSF wrote:

what is MMS

A text is known as an SMS message. If you try to attach a picture or send a single text to multiple recipients, it is still a text but it requires a data connection and is referred to as an MMS message. 

@PSFAnytime I set someone up on PM I automatically test their data to see if their data is working. This always adds 5.### to their data. If you may have tried it, it may not have been removed properly, but it should have been.

All things considered, just make sure your data is off, and if you never turn it on again, the 5mb is all you'll ever use. If you want to text a picture or a send a multiple recipient message, you will be required to enable data and you will again be charged 5mb to enable your data; that amount should be returned to you once you turn off data and a bit of time passes. The MMS message itself uses NO data.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

This has been reported before anywhere between -5 and 5 megs it's a setting thing I believe on pm side. Are you on 15 plan?

If you track your data and compare it to your phone there should be very small difference, usually your phone will report more than your self-serve as your phone will count mms and the background maintenance data that public mobile is not charging you for. But the numbers should be very close unless you mms tons. 

PSF

I never ever enabled it yet it's always been off

PSF

what is MMS

PSF

What is Data buffer?  I always had my data shut off on my phone from the last provider I had and 0 mb used all the time so I figured that if I never turned it on yet It should not be using any on public as well

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I believe Turing off mobile data will restore the data, and enabling data will then consume the 5.4mb data

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Data buffer. 

Usually when data turned on it adds a buffer 5mb ish.

If you turn your data completely off and check your self serve in 15l30 minutes it likely will be gone.

Please note..MMS will not work if data is turned off.

Need Help? Let's chat.