cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data is so so wrong...

Homely
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I only have the basic plan with 250MB of data, but i seldom use it. Now I'm getting messages for the past two cycles that ,y data is ay 75%, and my 2GB data Christmas bonus is all but used up!!! Apparently at 2am, when i'm asleep my phone using about 2 or mb ?? Anyone have any idea what's happened???

8 REPLIES 8

Are you sure you don't have wifi assist (or whatever it's called) on? What make and model of phone?

If you leave the data switched off then you should obviously not be using any data for anything. But wifi assist may be getting activated unknowingly. Nothing else should be using any data. At power up or any other time.

Homely
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Appreciate all the suggestions - I have the background setting set on wi-fi only, but the data is still used. I turned the phone off the overnight, but it used data after I turned in on the next morning?? Weird. I've turned the cellular data off completely - I'll see what happens. Thanks again. 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Youtube is a great resource to help you understand how your phone may be using data in the background.  

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Homely wrote:

I only have the basic plan with 250MB of data, but i seldom use it. Now I'm getting messages for the past two cycles that ,y data is ay 75%, and my 2GB data Christmas bonus is all but used up!!! Apparently at 2am, when i'm asleep my phone using about 2 or mb ?? Anyone have any idea what's happened???

250MB is a very small amount.  It can be used within seconds. Look at your usage on your phone but set the starting day to match your plan start day.  Look what has been using data especially background data.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Homely 

Try calling 611 or login to your account for your current amount of data.

The notice could be your data tracking app which is on a monthly cycle and not on a 30 days cycle which PM is on.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Homely - when you get these messages, are you confirming what is left on your My Account overview page?

This is normally the best area to go by for what is left on your account.

You can also try calling 611 to check balances.

Not so great that you are using bonus data without knowing. Do you leave your data option/setting off at all times unless needed? Best to practice this, as data may kick in if wifi signals are weak and apps are open or updates are automatically being done.

Perhaps install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Homely 

tried use browser from computer, clear cache and cookies and use one page inPrivate mode,

To Login Page

to history data usage or by call *611 press 3 and you need your 4 digit PIN.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Homely Hi try deleting your cache or use a different browser in incognito or secret mode reboot you computer or device and sign back in, hopefully your account will clear up,as for a couple of mb that is just a buffer 

Need Help? Let's chat.