cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data in the USA

SIXTY6
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently returned from Los Vegas where I had previously purchased a US Roaming Package. I wanted to be able to use Data at times when I didn’t have WiFi so I could navigate my way around. Data was extremely hit n miss and this isn’t the first time. All I. An say is that sometimes it worked and most of the time it didn’t.

We plan on traveling down through Washington, Oregon and California in May and would like to be able to trust using Data when needed along the trip……..any answers as to what may have happened in Vegas and any advice to ensure I am doing everything right and if there is a certain package or set up for our up coming trip to California?

Thanks,

15 REPLIES 15

@SIXTY6 the beauty for using local data sim is usually they have better support as you are using their service, thrynuavr better info which area works or not, or what settings is needed

With PM, roaming,  PM support will tries to help but they have less control as it is a TMobile network 

It's basically plug and use after what is likely a much-easier activation process than here, @SIXTY6 

Can't speak from experience - i'm just guessing it's much quicker and easier.

Practically anywhere. 7-Eleven apparently. I've seen them at Target. People mention Walmart (I try to not set foot in them), the actual provider stores.

Again, it's just like when you activated here (unless you had a store do it for you).

You would use your hotel address to satisfy that part.

Of course you get a US number. Your home Public number won't take or make calls. But it will receive sms texts if you keep the sim in the phone if you have a dual-sim phone. Just not out-going.

SIXTY6

That’s great, thanks for the info. So is this SIM card, something you can pick up anywhere? And is activating it quick and easy or do you have to wait awhile for approval? I’m assuming you can somehow activate it with your phone that you brought down with you but not yet having service to activate? Sorry, been a long time since I E dealt with a SIM card and never in the US.

There are gajillions of them in the states. Unlike here with the big 3 blocking any newcomers.

There are short term pre-paids, 30 days, 90 days, 1 year (that I have from Red Pocket Mobile). Then your choice of the primary carriers that they all piggyback on like Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. You'll want to focus on the latter two.

It's just like here. You buy a sim and activate it with the company. Same as here.

SIXTY6

That’s great, I really appreciate your help. So how does this prepaid sim plan work as I’ve never used before…….is it just a SIM card that replaces my current Public Mobile Sim Card? Is it just plug and play?

Definitely try the offline google maps download @SIXTY6  - i've used them in the US before and they worked GREAT.   True, they won't show real-time traffic situations (given they're a snapshot of routes and attractions only), however they do display points of interest along a route and worked flawlessly for me.

If you require internet access along the way, there's many places with free wi-fi.

If you require internet access routinely, purchase a pre-paid SIM plan when you get there from a provider like T-Mobile.  They come in 30-day plans and will have much better service, and higher data components dollar for dollar, than PM's add-ons.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

For text and data it's all about the coverage areas for T-Mobile. It's entirely possible that even with some US provider (local data as it were) that coverage could have it's own variability. AT&T might have coverage and T-Mobile not and vice versa. Public roaming only works with T-Mobile.

If you're using Google Maps, you can download map areas and then use them offline without data. The location services (GPS) will show your location on that offline map. No you won't get navigation or live traffic. Directions can be set up initially when on wifi (or saving your cell data) and refer to it offline enroute.

@SIXTY6 wrote:

It’s mainly just so we can have internet access for maps, directions and site seeing. 

@SIXTY6  before you go, ensure you download all the google maps for the areas you will be visiting. This way you can use the maps without the use of using data. Great way to save on data usage..even when in Canada.

How to download maps to use offline:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

SIXTY6

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by local data? We will be traveling in the US for around 3 weeks.

SIXTY6

It’s mainly just so we can have internet access for maps, directions and site seeing. 

SIXTY6

Thanks for that. I believe it automatically defaults to T- Mobile once you cross the border but I will ensure that it is selected in the phone settings.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SIXTY6 data access should not. be a problem.  You connected to TMobile?

FYI, I think Washington state connection could be worse.

if you are in States long, why not use local data prepaid?? cheaper and easier

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SIXTY6 

Public mobile talk is hit and miss these days because of the decommissioning of the 3G Network in the USA.  PM roaming talk depends on the 2G T mobile network which has unreliable coverage in the USA.  Data and text should work fine.  

Perhaps a local US SIM would work better for your needs if your recent trip was an indication (edit).

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@SIXTY6  Just make sure your connected to T-Mobile and note voice is spotty at best especially in Washington state 

Need Help? Let's chat.