cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data getting sucked up too fast, inaccurate? and U.S. data pack cannot be used in Canada

sddixon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

New to Public Mobile - I've been on Public Mobile for under a month 
I'm on the 4.5GB 3G plan
I watch a bit of YouTube, and generally surf the web however I don't believe excessively
I'm finding my data allowance is disappearing at what appears too fast a rate
4.5GB was gone by mid month.
I've since added now 1X U.S. 1GB Data, and 3X 1GB data add-ons, (+ ie. $110 in first month) where the U.S. data is useless in Canada (expensive mistake) and the last 2X 1GB have been 95% used 1 day later. I have not been downloading movies, or music excessively. I have been streaming a few YouTube videos, however for maybe ~30mins,  in the day so suprised this would consume all this in just a day?

U.S. Data - I was also confused by the U.S. roaming and 1GB data add-on, and being in Canada cannot now consume, so this is another wasted $20

It seems data consumption rate measurement is inaccurate by Public Mobile vs. my previous consumption rate on other plans.

If this is accurate, I'm thinking I may be switching as cannot afford to be paying a gross $150+ per month... and would be nice to get the $20 back for the U.S. pack I cannot use...

Anyone else having this issue? Can this be resolved?

21 REPLIES 21

malexander

I ported over from Robbers less than a month ago and noticed excessive data useage as well (more than a typical month of data within 2.5 weeks), thankfully I have a future pending plan switch to the 8gig offerSmiley Very Happy

killer23d
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

More to the list of things you can do:

1) Per app, disable/limit notifications and background data refresh (Twitter, Facebook, etc) that you don't need it on all the time.

2) Email set up to "fetch" every 15 minutes if possible rather than "push"

3) Disable location data when app is not in use. GPS needs cellular data and wifi to establish a quicker lock. On Android, set GPS to "device only".

4) On video stream apps, disable HD streaming because it defaults to HD when there is LTE connection.

On iOS, it is very easy to do the above. On Android, depending on which OS and manufacturer; on my Pixel 2, it is under Settings -> Network and Internet -> Data Usage -> App data usage.

cdfegab
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

turn off auto update on data, google play or app store, make it wifi only. they tuse up so much data. if you use spotify, make sure you dont have any playlist on auto download, and turn off automatic download as well, make it wifi only. watch youtube videos in lower resolution saves tons of data. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@daredogg wrote:

Photos - I got a new-to-me 6s, and with the better camera, I took a few more videos and photos than I normally would. Found out that these media files were uploading to the cloud on wifi (a 1.3 GB ouch!)

@daredogg you should really set Photos to only back-up over Wi-Fi, if you haven't already.  Just turn OFF the cellular backup of photos and/or videos and it will wait until you're attached to a WiFi network to back them up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@daredogg wrote:

YouTube - this wasn't surpising, but it used 153 MB. @luke11992 is right about the rate at which data can be consumed. I do like @srlawren's suggestion about scaling down the videos. I did, however think this was automatic, but will see if there's a preference option.

@daredogg there is a setting for that actually:

Screenshot_20180905-141838.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@daredogg Ooh nice summary there. Weird though, I use gas buddy maybe 3-4 times a month (when not on wifi) but my data usage for the app has has never been much more than 10mb.

killer23d

@daredogg wrote:

I think @killer23d has a good idea about checking the usage for various apps. Last week, I got a text from PM saying 75% of my data was used. First time this has happened to me. I checked the Cellular tab on my iPhone and saw three offending apps...

Photos - I got a new-to-me 6s, and with the better camera, I took a few more videos and photos than I normally would. Found out that these media files were uploading to the cloud on wifi (a 1.3 GB ouch!)

YouTube - this wasn't surpising, but it used 153 MB. @luke11992 is right about the rate at which data can be consumed. I do like @srlawren's suggestion about scaling down the videos. I did, however think this was automatic, but will see if there's a preference option.

Gas Buddy - this one was a big surprise! I use maps all the time, and they consumed less than 100 MB, but this one app used 133 MB alone... and I only check it when I fill up, which is max 5 times a month.

So yeah... it's a good idea to reset your data usage stats when your data renews. This way, you can easily see what apps are sucking all your data. Does anyone know of a good vampire game?! haha Robot Very Happy

Most of the data usage is from media consumption and the amount of apps installs. Many apps asks for data refresh in the background.

If you use iPhone, turning off background data refresh saves a lot of data. Especially with gasbuddy, you don't want it to have background refresh all the time when you just need it once a week.

Android is a different story, if you don't have the at least Nougat, there are apps out there can limit data refresh. Otherwise it's a matter of going to the setting and turn on data saver.

I come from Rogers and their data is rounded to the next kilobyte, I am curious how PM rounds up data? If it is rounded to the next megabyte, then there is a problem.

I think @killer23d has a good idea about checking the usage for various apps. Last week, I got a text from PM saying 75% of my data was used. First time this has happened to me. I checked the Cellular tab on my iPhone and saw three offending apps...

Gas Buddy - this one was a big surprise! I use maps all the time, and they consumed less than 100 MB, but this one app used 133 MB alone... and I only check it when I fill up, which is max 5 times a month.

So yeah... it's a good idea to reset your data usage stats when your data renews. This way, you can easily see what apps are sucking all your data. Does anyone know of a good vampire game?! haha Robot Very Happy

traceracer

I am on a 12GB / 120 days plan since Nov 2016.  I frequently surf and occasionally watch YouTube videos when I am off wifi.  I had never been close to using up the data within each billing period.  I was shocked at the end of June when I blew through all the data a full month before the next billing period (and had to purchase 1GB to get to the next billing...argh!).

My usage hadn't really changed.  I turn off the phone overnight every night.  I'm the only one using the phone. 

The only thing I can relate the data consumption to is when I watched a YouTube video a couple of times of a song that I liked.  I wanted to remember the name of the song for later, so I kept the tab on my browser.  It wasn't playing videos or no sound was coming out, but I think in the background it was cueing up other videos YouTube thinks I might be interested in.    

After buying the extra 1GB, I closed the YouTube tab and turned on Data Saver on my phone. I've since entered the next billing period and in the first 3.5 weeks, I have only used 263MB of cellular data.  I still watch YouTube videos, but close the tab after I am done watching.  

I recommend turning on Data Saver if you have that option on your phone.  

Hope that helps!

sddixon

Helpful, thank you

sddixon

Thank you, helpful

sddixon

Hi, 

Thank you for your response.

Don't have WiFi at home, so WiFi Assist in essence is constantly on... hence the usage demand but still over 1GB in a day seems excessive for what doesn't seem much use on my part. 

killer23d

Both Android and iOS has the ability to track data usage, maybe you want to consult that feature first and disable background data for non-trivival stuff as a test?

srlawren

@sddixon please see: how to tell what apps or services are using up your data on an Android phone or on an iPhone.  

If you're going to stream YouTube over mobile data, try turning down the resolution.  If you normally watch at 1080p or 4K, that will burn through a ton of data.  Try watching at 480p or even 360p and you will consume much slower.  I usually aim for 480p when away from WiFi.

luke11992

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@luke11992 wrote:

Stop watching YouTube on data, that should solve your problem. I never really understand how people go through so much data. 

This does not help the OP at all.  People use data that is why they get a plan with data.  Everyone uses their phone differently.  My kids use way more data than I do because they are used to doing everything from their phone whenever they want.  I still wait for wifi connections and being at home lol

I think it completely helps him. He's having trouble staying under his data and is complaining about having to keep buying add-ons. If he stops watching YouTube his problem is solved

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sddixon, videos consume a lot of data, much more than one would anticipate.  My home internet plan consumes in excess of 1 TB every month because the whole family like watching youtube, netflix videos in the evening.  With respect to the error is buying the US add-on, I suggest reaching out to the moderator team to see if they will offer a refund or perhaps swapping it for 1 GB add-on that works in Canada.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

@luke11992 wrote:

Stop watching YouTube on data, that should solve your problem. I never really understand how people go through so much data. 

This does not help the OP at all.  People use data that is why they get a plan with data.  Everyone uses their phone differently.  My kids use way more data than I do because they are used to doing everything from their phone whenever they want.  I still wait for wifi connections and being at home lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

luke11992

popping

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sddixon wrote:

Hi, 

New to Public Mobile - I've been on Public Mobile for under a month 
I'm on the 4.5GB 3G plan
I watch a bit of YouTube, and generally surf the web however I don't believe excessively
I'm finding my data allowance is disappearing at what appears too fast a rate
4.5GB was gone by mid month.
I've since added now 1X U.S. 1GB Data, and 3X 1GB data add-ons, (+ ie. $110 in first month) where the U.S. data is useless in Canada (expensive mistake) and the last 2X 1GB have been 95% used 1 day later. I have not been downloading movies, or music excessively. I have been streaming a few YouTube videos, however for maybe ~30mins,  in the day so suprised this would consume all this in just a day?

U.S. Data - I was also confused by the U.S. roaming and 1GB data add-on, and being in Canada cannot now consume, so this is another wasted $20

It seems data consumption rate measurement is inaccurate by Public Mobile vs. my previous consumption rate on other plans.

If this is accurate, I'm thinking I may be switching as cannot afford to be paying a gross $150+ per month... and would be nice to get the $20 back for the U.S. pack I cannot use...

Anyone else having this issue? Can this be resolved?

Do you have an iPhone  that may have wifi assist on?  Have you been doing any updates away from wifi?  I have never had any issue with the data trackers and found them accurate.  One thing I would suggest is to switch your plan to the 8GB for $50 or the 6GB for $45.  Also there is always the option to renew your plan early rather than purchasing data addons.  For that you need to have the funds in your account and then private message the moderators asking them to renew your plan early.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Are you on an iPhone, with WiFi assist turned on?  This is a huge data waster if it is enabled.

Also, the newer Android versions have a similar option, where the cellular data is left enabled while on WiFi, to assist when the WiFi connection isn't good.

Need Help? Let's chat.