cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

WestBencher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just moved from Telus where I paid for 6 G data but only ever used 3 for both me and hubby. So we went with the 3.5 G plans - each. I was out of data half way through my month and nothing has changed with my usage. Why would I use more data with Public than with Telus for the same online scenarios?   I have no new apps. 

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

@WestBencher 

The data warning and limiter saved me from excessive data usage when I switched to a new phone and it took me awhile to figure which 2 apps were using a lot of my data all of a sudden. (Google photos and the pc optimum app....the latter had added video to the app that had to be shut off within the app's account settings.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WestBencher wrote:

Thanks, I did everything you suggested and will see what happens. Much appreciated. 🙂

Those data conservation methods are relevant to all providers. Good thing here though is that there are no overage charges which would otherwise be the main motivator to keep watch over consumption. Some might say not so good that there's no throttled unlimited. But others would say that throttled data is painful to use.

WestBencher

Thanks, I did everything you suggested and will see what happens. Much appreciated. 🙂

@WestBencher 

Did you do a speed test in the first day or two after switching from telus? It takes 48 hours for your data to throttle down to 3mbps from full speed 4G LTE. That will use a whole whack of data in one test.

Set your data tracker to the appropriate dates of your 30 day cycle. Then check under data usage for your apps data usage. That will tell you which apps have used a lot of data. Perhaps one of them had a software update while on mobile data. If you uploaded photos or viewed backed up photos that can consume considerable data or if you have an iPhone that synced your photos.

While you are checking app data usage make sure you turn off all background data. (This can save up to 38% of your usage!) Then set your data warning and limiter ( I set at 25% and 50% and reset if needed.) Make sure wifi assist ( or the Android equivalent) is off and your data saver is toggled on.

Checking your daily usage logs you will find your data usage is updated in 12 hour blocks twice daily. This will narrow down when the largests chunks of your data were used. (Check those first 2 days when you still had full speed 4G LTE first.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WestBencher : email on wifi I gather. Your phone should have a way to show all the apps or system and their usage. The usage details on the self-serve would show you when roughly.

But yes it's a bit of a long standing goofy thing that when you've used all of a countable feature, the feature disappears from the list. It took the longest time to get them to say that on the page too. But then again, when it's done why show it. And for how long afterwards.

You should have received texts at 75% and 95% from 611.

WestBencher

My phone just stopped working except for calls, email and txt. I could not see how much data I had used because the the page said all data was used up LOL

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@WestBencher  did you logon to self-serve and check the Usage History?  It will give you some idea how the data were used.

Also, did you check your phone?  It will show you what apps used Mobile data.

As PM is on a 30 days cycle, I suggest you to install 3rd party app like "Data Counter widget"  or "Data Witness PM"  which can set to 30 days cycle (usually the built in app on the phone will only track monthly cycle)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WestBencher : Check your overview page under My Data & Add-ons to see your actual numbers. Also, changing providers can cause lots of re-syncing with servers and such.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WestBencher 

When you log into your account is your data usage counter missing? Or do you see :

3GB+ 500MB at 3G Speed........?/3584MB

Or did your phone stop your data? Did you recieve texts from pm saying you used 75% and 95% of your data? Do you have your data limiter set on your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.