cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Notification - why does PM bother with this?

norsound
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

5+ year member, who cannot access my older community profile for whatever reason.

I have an ongoing issue with PM that is so annoying - I wanted to post about it to see if anyone has been able to get this resolved one way or another.

The issue:

"Automated" text message notifications that "75% of your data has been used".

I have PREVIOUSLY found these useful. With a former plan that had ONE GB of data, it was helpful to know that 75% was gone.... 

I updated my plan to include 3 GB many months ago.

I am still receiving these automated text messages telling me I have used 75% of my data every month, which causes me to have to log in, jump through hoops with verification etc... only to find out that, NO, I have not used 75% of 3 GB, but rather, 75% of 1 GB! So totally useless and annoying. I will also get a 95% data used message as well sometimes...

I have twice tried to get these messages either turned off, or to have them reflect my current 3 GB data limit. Each time, the PM CS-Agent has NOT been able to assist. The most recent time I got this: 

"I was able to access your account and the text message received by you that you reach 75% of your data usage it's incorrect. Please ignore it, those texts are sent automatically and sometimes are incorrect. You only used 800Mb out of your 3Gb which is much less then 75%. We do apologize for the inconvenience created and for the fact that you had to clarify with us this situation."

"Sometimes" incorrect? Actually, in my case, they are now ALWAYS incorrect. And I have to log in and check, because what if suddenly the message "IS" correct? Or like PM stated, "sometimes" they might be correct? I can't really "ignore", as running out of data on a road trip could be an issue.....

Why can't I at least get these turned off if PM can't fix their system issue? I am obviously in the system somewhere with an "incorrect" 1 GB data limit (instead of the 3 GB), and the text messages arrive when approx 725-750 GB have been utilized - so that part seems to work...

Anyone else ever had a chance to get this resolved?

15 REPLIES 15

norsound

"I have no data add-ons"... ZERO - they were all used up long ago. I only have LD minutes remaining.

Can you just humour us and keep scrolling down after that minutes usage bar to then see any possible balance and then keep going to see any add-ons. If you've been here a few years you will have been able to acquire free data and long distance add-ons. Maybe you don't use much data and so those freebies could still be there.

Yes I have often commented about the software here but the services seem to keep on going and that's what really matters.

norsound

Check with my original post again; I have opened not just one, but actually TWO tickets two months in a row and gotten exactly nowhere!  I had multiple message conversations with each of the cs agent... in my original message I even posted cut and paste what their most recent message was....

I'm thinking that I'm not able to turn it off by replying stop based on the screenshot I've already shared on that one today, but anyhow, there's probably nothing to be done about this, the whole PM system is badgered together and held together by a rubber band... I will take the savings and just have to live with the annoyance.... ?

norsound

Oh my god, not this incognito cache thing again again, lol, yeah this was an issue a year ago when I had one gigabyte and the cache on my mobile would not refresh... that was a stupid issue that caused me to run out of data as well, with no help from a p.m. agent at the time either...

Anyway, the current issue: I'm logging in online with a PC in addition to my phone to try and get this resolved. Yes the PC showed the same number as the screenshot from my phone... 

hi @norsound 

so, the 75% text alert still stuck with the 1GB calculation.

if you have not done so, submit a ticket with PM agent, maybe they can refresh the account and could resolve that

norsound

I do not have any data add-ons.... just 3 GB of data in my monthly plan... this is an ongoing issue ever since I changed from the 1 GB plan to the 3 GB plan. 

And what about any data add-ons further down that list.

HI @norsound 

still wonder if it is a cahce problem.  app has cache problem too, and it is more trouble clear it up

My suggestion is to use a browser , use Incogniito/Private/Secret mode on your browser to login My Account and check the data usage again

if it still show not much usage, then forget about the text

But do you have other bonus data on the account ?  I remember someone said the 75% is the 75% of the Total usage on my account, including the bonus addon you have

norsound

Screenshot_20231015-165314.png

And for certainty, here is a screenshot of the data usage in my current 30-day cycle, taken at the time of receiving the text message from PM. 

norsound

Screenshot_20231018-143554.png

Here's the text message that public mobile sends me when I hit approximately 725 to 750 MB, on a 3 GB plan, a plan I changed to quite some time ago, it was briefly offered for 30 a month on 3G and with all my discounts I think I'm around 15 bucks on it.... I lived for a long time with one gigabyte but on a 30-day plan I found that I would run out on a road trip and be hooped. 

norsound

Screenshot_20231018-143116.png

For the record, "STOP"  doesn't seem to work... just prompts me to call 611, LOL! 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately you may just need to start ignoring it if you know it's always wrong. Was it some sort of bonus data you got? I'm trying to remember what 3GB plan there ever was.

And as @dust2dust suggested, depending on what you're paying you may want to consider checking out current plans which are faster and provide more data; possible for similar $. Have you seen the $39/20GB 4G plan? Or the 90 day version which works out to $34/30 days?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How much are you paying for that 3gigs? You might get more bang for your buck with current plans.
Are you getting these 75% messages from 611? Do you possibly have a data limiter setting set on your phone?
Maybe provide some images of your overview page (without anything personal showing) after clicking on all the little spinner refresh icons you can find. I'm looking for your plan data and any data add-ons.

norsound

Well, that may be a last resort nuclear option - thanks for pointing it out!

I would "prefer" if the system could simply just be updated for my account to reflect my current 3 GB limit.... 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @norsound 

so, you want to stop receiving it? you can reply STOP and it will stop all text from that shortcode

Need Help? Let's chat.