cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Not Accurate

Nikkijpat12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having issues with my data usage.  In June I bought a 3G add on off Data (which usually lasts me for months) and then left the country for most of the month of July. I left my phone on to forward text messages via an app, but the phone always stayed in within in my house with wifi on so would have used any data. Two days after my return, I received a text that I had used 95% of my data... which was impossible. Also, my data add on never showed up on my account. Then this month, I received an unexpected messages again saying my usages was 95%, but when i checked my account online it was nowhere near there. I realized it was a fluke and  been meaning to follow up on it, but hadn't quite had the chance. Then  today, it alerted me I used 100% data and the data promptly stopped. Again, I had paid for 3G add on, which should barely have been touched.  There is something very inaccurate about the data usage. How do I fix this and get my add on actually added on? Thank you

10 REPLIES 10

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

Jade never clarified the correct date so unless pm has proof of an updated ToS before May 24th I would go by the May 24th date.

@Nikkijpat12 

Technically one could argue that the expiry date shouldn't come into affect until June 23rd if the first posting of the change of service terms on publicmobile.ca/plans was on May 24th then it should become effective 30 days hence dependong on when pm posted the new ToS that has significant changes to it.

Its worth contacting customer support and asking for a one time "goodwill" credit if the purchase of the add on was at the beginning of June. Just explain as you did......and if you are unhappy with the response tell them you are considering a C C T S complaint.

@Nikkijpat12 wrote:

When did this happen and why was there no notice?? It never used to that work that way and I had known, i would never have bought the add on when I did. This seems like a price gouging scheme to make us change plans. I would rather change companies. Is there possibility of getting that charge refunded as I didn't know and didn't use it?

@Nikkijpat12 , as of May 8th 2023 Data add-ons are valid for 30 days after you purchase them. After 30 days, any unused data will expire!

@maximum_gato made a post about this! “Clarification of Public Mobile Data Add on Expiry Changes and US Roaming Add ons

On my account it shows at the top when purchasing Canada data add-ons that they expire after 30 days! Sorry 😞 

IMG_0186.jpeg

To help you track it down you could tell us the plan you've been on since June and then the payments you made since then. And even usage details from a spreadsheet (if it's working).

I suspect you bought the add-on, then the plan renewed, then the add-on expired, then you used up your plan data and there was no data add-on existing. I would look at what used your data and turn those things off. Like OS and app updates and background data usage and yes the wifi assist failover whatever it's called.

@Nikkijpat12 wrote:

The phone was in a drawer and untouched for 3 weeks. It was only on so an app could forward texts when receive. there was absolutely no way it could have used 95 % of my data

@Nikkijpat12  iphone or Android?

Nikkijpat12

This is so disappointing. It may be time to switch carriers for me.

It changed when the new system was introduced. They don't have any obligation to notify. My guess is that you used the add-on somehow (adding - or it simply timed out of the 30 days). Be sure to click any little spinner refresh icons lower down to be sure you're seeing current info.

Nikkijpat12

The phone was in a drawer and untouched for 3 weeks. It was only on so an app could forward texts when receive. there was absolutely no way it could have used 95 % of my data

Nikkijpat12

When did this happen and why was there no notice?? It never used to that work that way and I had known, i would never have bought the add on when I did. This seems like a price gouging scheme to make us change plans. I would rather change companies. Is there possibility of getting that charge refunded as I didn't know and didn't use it?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Nikkijpat12 

PM data tracking is generally accurate.  

Are you using Android or iPhone? 

If Android, you can go to Data Mobile Usage page, change the cycle start date to the beginning of your current cycle and it will confirm how much data you used

E-MobileData.png

Unfortunately no such tracking backward for iPhone.  However, you can reset your data statistics on iPhone to start tracking from today and compare the usage on My Account 

iPhone-MobileData.jpg

Also, make sure you didn't set Adaptive Wifi  or Wifi Assist on our phone.  This is a feature that will use our data whenever your Wifi signal is weak 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What plan are you on and when is the renewal and when did you buy the data add-on? Canada data add-ons are now limited to 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.