cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Is Wrong

Jordandorian
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switched to PM for the plan I have $15/m, 100m talk, unlimited in and out text and 250mb bonus data. But when I go to data usage on my phone it says I’ve used 58mb/100mb which is wrong not only because the plan says I have 250mb but also because when I log into my PM account it says my usage is 25mb/250mb. If someone knows how to fix this please help. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

derekww
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Jordandorian You use an iPhone. The Settings app on the iPhone will NOT show you your plan’s data limit (250MB in your case) and will only tell you your data usage if you diligently reset your data counter at the exact start of the plan period. 

Instead of using the Settings app, you should use a third party app to track your data usage. I use a free one called DataFlow. Download it from the App store for free. https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/dataflow-data-manager/id955447159

The first time you use DataFlow, input your plan’s cycle (mine is 30 days), the start date of the current period, data limit of your plan, data you have already used in the current period (you can find this in Public Mobile self serve page). It will then track how much data you have used in your period and how many days into the period you are at. DataFlow also has a widget so I can quickly see where my data usage is at without opening the app itself (see example). 

Image-1 copy.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jordandorian wrote:

I don’t see an option for that

@Jordandorian try here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8351760

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Jordandorian wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

I recently switched to PM for the plan I have $15/m, 100m talk, unlimited in and out text and 250mb bonus data. But when I go to data usage on my phone it says I’ve used 58mb/100mb which is wrong not only because the plan says I have 250mb but also because when I log into my PM account it says my usage is 25mb/250mb. If someone knows how to fix this please help. Thanks

@Jordandorian  Go into your phone's data usage settings and change the data limit from 100MB to 250MB.

@JordandorianIf your phone is reporting 58mb/100mb it means that the data limit is set to 100mb. Maybe someone with more experience with that phone can chime in where that setting is.

Jordandorian

@geopublic wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

@Jordandorian  Go into your phone's data usage settings and change the data limit from 100MB to 250MB.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jordandorian wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jordandorian wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

Which one do you need to fix: your phone data usage or PM account data usage? For PM account data usage, I think sometimes PM may didn't update yet. For your data usage, you can set phone data maximum use for 250mb, but I don't think it's necessary since when you use all data, the data will be stop work, so you won't worry about over charge.

I need to fix the 58mb/100mb because it isn’t showing the 25mb/250mb that I actually have.

Just so we're clear...this is not a Public Mobile problem.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jordandorian wrote:

I need to fix the 58mb/100mb because it isn’t showing the 25mb/250mb that I actually have.

@Jordandorian to fix the "/100mb" part, you need to change your monthly data plan amount in your iPhone's settings.  I can't help you with the specifics as I'm an Android guy, but your phone has no idea what your plan includes unless you tell it.  

For the "58mb" part:  on an iPhone, you need to manually reset your usage counter on your phone to zero each time your plan renews.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Jordandorian wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

Which one do you need to fix: your phone data usage or PM account data usage? For PM account data usage, I think sometimes PM may didn't update yet. For your data usage, you can set phone data maximum use for 250mb, but I don't think it's necessary since when you use all data, the data will be stop work, so you won't worry about over charge.

I don't have iPhone, but someone wrote that when send text using iMessage will use data. So you need do some setting on iMessage.

Jordandorian

@hycm53 wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

Jordandorian

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Jordandorian wrote:

What app are you using to monitor your data on your phone?  As for the 58/100 your phone won't know the amount of data that you have in your plan you would need to put that in there.  As well PM usage isn't updated in real time so you may in fact have used the 58/250 and it just hasn't updated yet.

I’m using the settings app on my iPhone XS.

Jordandorian

I’m using the settings app on my IPhone XS 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is one of the most talked about topics over the years.  Just to keep my sanity, I treat the Public Mobile meter as accurate and everything else as an estimate.  I am sure the system has undergone sufficient scrutiny to ensure that it is and remains legal tender.  Good luck trying to prove otherwise. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

My observations seem to show that the overview counter is pretty immediate but the usage details lag.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Jordandorian wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Jordandorian wrote:

What app are you using to monitor your data on your phone?  As for the 58/100 your phone won't know the amount of data that you have in your plan you would need to put that in there.  As well PM usage isn't updated in real time so you may in fact have used the 58/250 and it just hasn't updated yet.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.