cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Plans for Travelling - Sailing at sea

William7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I'll soon be travelling from Florida to Plattsburgh on a sailboat, at sea. 

The whole trip isn't supposed to be that long, so I'm looking to purchase some data add-on for this trip. 

My only concern is that I won't be able to have cellular network at sea. I was wondering if any of you had had a similar experience in the past, and if you had had issues with getting mobile data at sea ? 

Thank you ! 

4 REPLIES 4

JL9
Mayor / Maire

So not a cruise then a much smaller boat and you are sailing on your own. With a cruise you may have some options but it it isn't a cruise you may have to go without data like it is 1990 again and just check in on stuff when you get to land.

ongom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The distance really matters but pretty much wont work for the most part

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How far out from shore do you think you'll be? Will you be going in to any town along the way?

If you're staying inside of maybe 15km then you might still get reception. Past that would be dodgy. Then you'd need coverage maps to know if either AT&T or T-Mobile are present. Or just try either.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@William7   The roaming won't work on Sea.  In fact, pretty much you won't get any signal from any carriers when are you at sea.  You have to join those data package offered by your cruise

when you are in port, US port, then the US roaming would work.  

But if you are in Caribbean ports, then the US roaming would not work either

Need Help? Let's chat.