cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage issues in the West End of Guelph, ON?

deviantintegral
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a few things that make me wonder if something is up with the cell tower covering my neighbourhood.

On my iPhone 12 Mini, iOS 14.7.1:

• I am often unable to make outgoing calls from my basement office (which used to work fine).
  • I routinely have dropped calls or am unable to connect while walking outside in the neighbourhood.
  • Sometimes I lose data outside too, showing "3G" with full bars but nothing actually working.
  • When using data for voice calls with apps like Zoom, even when outside the iOS battery report will show "Low signal".
  • I've had a significant drop in battery life, which seems to go away when I go into airplane mode (but turn wifi and bluetooth back on).

My wife has also noticed that she's only getting about half the screen time on her iPhone 11, from up to 6 hours down to 3. Both of our phones have 90% capacity left on the battery, so battery aging doesn't explain this.

Has anyone else experienced this? My only other thought would be an iOS bug, but the combination of call drops plus different radio hardware in the 11 and 12 models makes that seem less likely.

6 REPLIES 6

deviantintegral

Resetting the network settings made a significant difference in battery life. While apps are still complaining of "Low signal", it doesn't seem like I'm still having call drops. Thanks for all the suggestions!

deviantintegral

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'd say I'm 1-2 KM from the closest tower.

I left my phone unplugged and in airplane mode overnight (but with Wifi on), and the entire time it only drained 5-8% of the battery.

I've reset the network settings and we'll see if that helps.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@deviantintegral wrote:

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a few things that make me wonder if something is up with the cell tower covering my neighbourhood.

On my iPhone 12 Mini, iOS 14.7.1:

• I am often unable to make outgoing calls from my basement office (which used to work fine).
  • I routinely have dropped calls or am unable to connect while walking outside in the neighbourhood.
  • Sometimes I lose data outside too, showing "3G" with full bars but nothing actually working.
  • When using data for voice calls with apps like Zoom, even when outside the iOS battery report will show "Low signal".
  • I've had a significant drop in battery life, which seems to go away when I go into airplane mode (but turn wifi and bluetooth back on).

My wife has also noticed that she's only getting about half the screen time on her iPhone 11, from up to 6 hours down to 3. Both of our phones have 90% capacity left on the battery, so battery aging doesn't explain this.

Has anyone else experienced this? My only other thought would be an iOS bug, but the combination of call drops plus different radio hardware in the 11 and 12 models makes that seem less likely.

@deviantintegral 

Airplane mode is good to toggle into and out of when experiencing network issues.

You can also perform a reset of your network settings; this can help with other things.

Regarding the battery issue, have a look at "Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan" as posted by Apple. Maybe something done in the attached steps.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@deviantintegral , this is the cell tower map for Guelph.  Take a look at it and see how far away you are from a cell tower.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=43.544073&lng=-80.262079&zoom=13&type=Road...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@deviantintegral   you might want to check the tower map around your area to see if it makes sense with your experience:

https://www.cellmapper.net/map

also, maybe try to change the network signal to 3G ONLY for a couple days and see if you see any difference, better or worse

Anonymous
Not applicable

@deviantintegral 

visit to Coverage Map Here .

or Here 

and check it out is enough Towers Map in your area...

check it out is issue Towers Map in your area...outages Here link, 

something maybe is help, do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Need Help? Let's chat.