cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuously Losing Data Connection

TheRenegadeFF
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK, So I signed up for Public Mobile about a year ago. At the time, I had a Pixel 5 with a SIM card. I would drop data every once in a while and I tried swapping the SIM card to my wifes phone and it did it there as well. I asked the community for help and it seemed to be better, but it was so intermittent and only really affected MMS as I am on WiFi at home and at work, and therefore I would notice every couple months that a MMS picture message or group message would not go through at all. Turn off WiFi and low and behold, I have no data. Doesn't affect phone calls or text. I just wrote it off to a older phone, worn out SIM holder, something.

Well I recently got a Pixel 7, and decided that I would just say F it, buy a eSIM. That'll fix it all... right?? Well HARD no. I lose data constantly. I'll be group texting friends, and suddenly, I have no data. Can't send a darn thing. Wife and 2 kids all have Public Mobile and they have never dropped data at all.... I have factory reset my phone, it's up to date, I have changed the APN to the suggested one for Pixel 7, I have copied the one from my wife's phone (it was an android default and was slightly different than mine), nothing seems to work. If I restart my phone, it's 50/50 that data comes back, but I'll lose it in the next few days...

Help?? I really feel there has to be something going on behind the scenes... I am on a 40GB plan...so I am not running out a data...

21 REPLIES 21

TheRenegadeFF

Yeah I do plan on reaching out again and asking for an update. On the plus side, I have not noticed the data drops as often lately. I have been home on a nice staycation and my MMS messages have not been yelling at me (as much anyway)

But that could also be rose colored glasses...

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegadeFF 

I guess at least having an explanation helps.....their timelines for a fix can be rather long. If you have been given contact info for the tech support it's best to be pro-active and ask for updates or feedback on a regular basis so that it gets resolved sooner rather than later. 🤞

TheRenegadeFF

I just got a message from tech support, apparently my issue has been able to be linked to a known network issue... No idea what that means, but they claim to be working on it as a whole big thing...

TheRenegadeFF

Nope. Apparently there is nothing wrong with my account, even though the guy from Telus tech support said he could see my connections dropping and coming back repeatedly. Everyone claims its my phone/location. Even though 3 other members in my house don't have data issues, and I can get data back on my phone if I swap in one of their sims...

So, I dunno... F me I guess?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegadeFF 

Did customer support fix your issue with a reset?

@TheRenegadeFF wrote:

I'll contact them. the APN settings are correct, I only really changed them when I discovered this issue had followed my phone change...

I guess I'll see what they have to say. What exactly does an account reset entail?

I don't know exactly what they do, never had a first hand look at what is involved.  For certain ailments, account resets works and it could in this instance.  

TheRenegadeFF

I'll contact them. the APN settings are correct, I only really changed them when I discovered this issue had followed my phone change...

I guess I'll see what they have to say. What exactly does an account reset entail?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@TheRenegadeFF 

This is an account to Sim card provisioning issue. As the oracle suggested you need a CSA to reset your account and ensure your e-sim is provisioned properly. The data issue carried over to the e-sim because the reset has to be done back end. Contact customer support as above.

@TheRenegadeFF wrote:

It's 3 bars, so decent. It's the same as my family's phones. I have all 4 next to each other on my desk currently and they all show similar strength signal. Hard to be exact, as they aren't all Google phones, but they are all about 3/4 signal

@TheRenegadeFF , the pixel 7 should auto navigate the APN settings.  I am running the same phone, I did not have to manually edit APN setting.  Just to make sure please check the phone is using the correct APN settings. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

If the APN checks out fine which I fully expect it to, then perhaps send a message to support using this link and have them do an account reset.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

TheRenegadeFF

It's 3 bars, so decent. It's the same as my family's phones. I have all 4 next to each other on my desk currently and they all show similar strength signal. Hard to be exact, as they aren't all Google phones, but they are all about 3/4 signal

TheRenegadeFF

But I went from a physical SIM to an eSIM as I was having this issue in the past. I figured it was a worn out SIM tray or a slightly damaged SIM card....

I don't know, I currently have data via my eSIM and things seem fine....

thanks @LitlLdy missed the eSIM part

then we can only check if his wife sim card works on his phone

See, another reason to avoid eSIM

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @TheRenegadeFF 

how big are the pictures you try to send? 

and try using your sim on your wife's phone, that can tell if it is your account/sim card

@hTideGnow , if he does that he would need to purchase a SIM Card for his phone & give up the eSIM!

TheRenegadeFF

Just put in my wife's SIM ,if I swap to that one for Mobile Data, I get data... if I swap back to my eSIM, I lose data...

@TheRenegadeFF wrote:

I'll try to test, but the downside is then she is phoneless....

Is that REALLY a downside? LOL. Kidding. Don't tell her I said that. LOL

TheRenegadeFF

Yes, if I put in her SIM I have data. But as you said I probably need to test for a couple days, but the fact that this issue has persisted on my account over 2 phones and none of the other members of my family have issues, I feel it's got to be something else....

I'll try to test, but the downside is then she is phoneless....

HI @TheRenegadeFF 

how big are the pictures you try to send? 

and try using your sim on your wife's phone, that can tell if it is your account/sim card

TheRenegadeFF

I have Public Mobile selected. I have tried having it automatically select the network, and I have Public Mobile selected... Same thing happens. Currently I had data for about 15 min, it sent some pictures I was trying to send a friend and then I immediately lost all data connections.... getting texts just fine though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TheRenegadeFF , it is strange that you would have so much trouble with data but your family does not.  The SIM card should not play a role in the data problem.  If you are able to connect to the network, data should work.  You seem to have no problems with talk and text which suggest connecting to the network is not the problem.  APN should also not be an issue.  If it was incorrectly set, you would have no data ever, it would not cause an intermittent problem.  When you are connected to the network, is the signal strength good?  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

With network settings you can turn off automatic and pick public mobile then reboot???

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @TheRenegadeFF 

did you try using your wife PM sim card on your Pixel 7 and check if it is any better?. since it is intermittent, you will need to test it for couple days I think 

Need Help? Let's chat.