cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering on coming back to PM...

sp00ny780
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Everyone, 

Past customer here. It's been a few years, and am really considering a change in service provider due to affordability. 

However, here's my issue: I have 6 lines that I want to transfer. I recall having to create a login for each one, is this process still the same? Or has this changed where I can set it up under one? Your help is appreciated. ✌️

21 REPLIES 21

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Thanks folks-doesn’t impact me as I do not have that symbol, but healthy conversation!!!

@HALIMACS- We'll continue this third party intermediary conversation 🙂 . So now I see something. I will still maintain that concatenation doesn't happen. What I will go along with after testing and observing is that we can't even type a + in the email option password reset screen. That's not concatenation. That's data entry filtering/masking. We can enter the dot though.

Thanks @gpixel .

@HALIMACS   in case you are not convince the + concatenating strings, here are some posts you can refer back.  (of course, you can also create a new account using + to prove those posts wrong  🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Help-with-account-access/m-p/952093/highl...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Unable-to-access-My-Account/m-p/968094#M6...

Sounds like it, thanks @dust2dust 👊

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@HALIMACS- I tried Raj's email address in the activation page. Truncated at 40 characters. Can't type in anymore. I tried it in the community. It took it. I added a bunch more characters. Stopped at 80 characters. Can't type in anymore.

So my length idea is likely more to do with the matching of the community to the account.

I don't know what support would do with a customer asking them to change it to an address of more than 40 characters to try to match the community.

I'm not convinced that this server concatenates anything. I think it just uses it as a string. If anybody here with a + in the registered email address would like to look at their profile page whether it shows the + would verify that. I know mine shows the dot. But I think we're focused on the +.

thank you for the deets, @softech 👍

@HALIMACS   no, the copy and paste won't work either.  After you clicked login, the email address is passed to the server together with something else as a long login string.  The server will interpretate the "+"  as a string concatenation operation and hence caused the trouble (abc+def@gmail.com will be interpretate as abcdef@gmail.com)  

But as far as I know, the lengh was not the reason with the + symbol problem.  But of course, a crazy long email address can still error out due to a fixed field size  🙂

@dust2dust @softech@ @gpixel 

I was unaware of an alias issues with password reset processes. 

Is it primarily related to adding the special character, namely '+'?

Can one circumvent by copying the email address from their own contact or email address account and paste it into the field?

@gpixel- Thanks. No, I keep an eye on every renewal before and after. Never know with this company what glitch will blow things up.

I still wonder if its the length of the email address when the + and other things are appended. Since we aren't able to change the account email we can't test whatever limitations are on that email address. And of course the activation page is under maintenance now too. Figures.

So like RajeshRamayanKoothrappali+PublicMobilecellphoneservice@thebigbangtheory.co.uk would be a rather long email address. I suspect there's a limit. I wonder if that trips people up.

@dust2dust 

yes the + method. I assume the dot method would also cause issues since it's using the same email address. we had login issues and the password reset wouldn't work correctly... it would keep saying try again later.

one way to test would be to use the 90 day glitch of not logging into ones account. and then try resetting the password

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sp00ny780   Please note that  alias with  + would give you problem.  While the registration won't show any error, logging in with the email would have problem (although some said the issue will only come up when you reqeust  password reset).  

Looks like other symbol is fine for now, but you never know when the system will change, so use with caution, or just create new email addresses

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Help-with-account-access/m-p/952093/highl...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Unable-to-access-My-Account/m-p/968094#M6...

I use the dot in the middle and got the password reset in moments.

Adding - if I re-position the dot from where it is for the registered email address then I get nothing. There's no verification of a valid email address. It just doesn't go anywhere. That's the verification.

I agree with @gpixel .  Even with the current system  Some symbols used on Alias won't receive reset password email (even though it can receive 2FA code)  Emails are free and really no need to use alias 😉

@gpixel- Do you say that about the inserted dot somewhere in the address (before the @) or the + at the end? I also wonder about the resulting length of the aliased address. I'm currently using the dot and so far things seem fine.

@sp00ny780 

I personally wouldn't use the alias method. it will cause you headaches in the long run. it doesn't play nice with the system. I suggest creating similar named email accounts with 1,2,3 instead. then forward the emails to the main email you would like to use. 

sp00ny780
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the heads up and alternate solutions everyone. 👌 Answered what I needed to know. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@sp00ny780 , I look after 6 accounts.  It's manageable.  The value is what keeps me here.  I am on the old rewards system.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@sp00ny780 

Yup, you'll need a separate e-mail address for each account/SIM.

You can use e-mail alias for the PM accounts.   G-mail is easy to do this wherein you can add a character or number to the first e-mail account to help differentiate it from the others.

Also, after your first activation (which should be on the one most likely to remain here the longest), use it's referral code on the self-serve page as a referral code for the other 5 accounts to save $$$ all around.

And if you need a referral code to start off, feel free to ask the Community, or private message any member here to request theirs !!!  😉

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@sp00ny780 wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

Past customer here. It's been a few years, and am really considering a change in service provider due to affordability. 

However, here's my issue: I have 6 lines that I want to transfer. I recall having to create a login for each one, is this process still the same? Or has this changed where I can set it up under one? Your help is appreciated. ✌️

Use e-mail aliases. Each login would be seperate but at least you won't need to set up new e-mail addresses.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sadly that policy probably never will change, since this is designed as a no-frills service, they only expect one account per user, and adding family options would only undercut the other premium brands.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sp00ny780 

Yes the process is still the same, 1 account/1 email address.

Unfortunately, if you come back to PM. You will automatically be on the new Points system where you collect 5% of your monthly bill in points. Once you have 15 points, you can redeem for a $15 credit off your bill. No more $2 credit if you are on AutoPay and everything will be in points.

I am still on the old Rewards system where I can get $2 credit for AutoPay, $1 credit/year with PM and $1 credit/referrals each monthly bill.

Need Help? Let's chat.