Did you mean: 

Code

Newfie7776
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why do I always need a code to sign in

11 REPLIES 11

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

So now my response to nonsensical posts get moved to the lounge? As they say there's "book" smarts and "street" smarts and this concept applies to navigating and managing your public mobile services as well as helping others with theirs. I know where I get mine without "tenure" not that I need it.....my public mobile riches are definitely "self-made".

@maximum_gato 

your point with lost phone didn't hold (oops)

You forgot people picked up your phone wouldn't know your email login to even get to the 2FA screen. 

Oh, but people might have saved passwords there.  
True, browser saved password.  If that, the one picked up your phone could then just use it and get to the 2FA screen.  Oh wait, shouldn't the phone have screen lock of some kind?

Oh, what if a hacker picked up the phone and able to get passed the screen lock?
If extreme case like this, I guess we can assume the hacker can get into everything and does not even need your phone 

And I think you have not been following the Community closely like you were using @darlicious  account before and missed the fact that with EverSafe, you can make it even more secure by using a different phone number to receive the code.  In fact, if you like (but I won't recommend),  you can even remove the phone number so the 2FA will only send to your email address

But don't get it wrong, 2FA is not 100% secure.  I can easily show you 10+ articles telling you why 2FA is not fault proof.   But why PM follows other banks, mobile provider, your email providers (Google, Yahoo, etc) to start using 2FA?  Because 2FA is much safer than without.  It is an extra layer of security.

So, in conclusion, Public Mobile is truly GREAT 👍😺🥇
(fyi you might have been spelling GREAT wrong in all your previous posts)

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

If you lose your phone or its stolen its much harder for you to login and secure your account then it is for the person in possession of your phone. 2FA verification makes it easier for your account to be compromised than the former verification questions needed for password resets. 

Previously if you suspected your account was compromised you could login without access to your device or email and change your password. Now if a hacker gains access they can change your email, 4 digit account pin#, Sim card and phone # rather than just the latter 2 and you completely lose access to your account as well as the ability for customer support to find it without the account #. If you can't access your account you cannot access your community account for support and you have to start from scratch. But of course.....

Public Mobile is Grrrreat!!! 🐯😀🐈

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

I have only had to get the code once since choosing "trusted device" some time ago but it seems it doesn't work for everyone, probably depending on whether you shut down the device daily and/or clear cookies etc.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

not cruel not joke, it is true 2FA is not convenient, but it not "convenient" for hacker to just take over your account and start using your phone to hack into your banking either.  There is always a tradeoff between safety and convenience.   2FA is not perfectly secure, but better than nothing

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Newfie7776 

all responses above are accurate...but I agree that Eversafe is a pain in the ...neck.

@hairbag1 Remember the pre Eversafe days when people were getting sim swapped/jacked and everyone was criticizing PM for not having more robust security?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Newfie7776 

all responses above are accurate...but I agree that Eversafe is a pain in the ...neck.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Newfie7776 

Because telus is playing a cruel joke on poor unsuspecting pm customers.....if anything it makes our accounts more vulnerable to fraudsters if you lose or your phone is stolen or your email account used for pm is hacked.

It is a very rare occurence that I don't need to sign in and verify with 2FA using Chrome when accessing self serve, the community and eversafe. Firefox keeps me signed in 90% of the time and very rarely requires the 2FA code. No rhyme or reason just frustration.

I7c

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Newfie7776 

Everything is on a 2 FA code confirmation now to prevent being hacked.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Newfie7776 

Suppose to provide more safety to customer. but it can be a hassle.

Did you click on "remember this device" option?  That should lessen asking for codes to login to self service account.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Newfie7776 Security security... Most bank sites and mobile sites have this feature now.  But you can select Trust this machine option so it will ask less if you use the same machine with the same browser 

Need Help? Let's chat.