cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarity on porting a number

JH_T
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I cannot see the forest for the trees, so here is my dumb question:

"Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request..."

I bought a PM phone, and a SIM 

I have my old phone with it's (old SIM); service still active

Do I have to install my old SIM into the new phone, or can I initiate porting from the old phone/old SIM?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

@JH_T wrote:

I cannot see the forest for the trees, so here is my dumb question:

"Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request..."

I bought a PM phone, and a SIM 

I have my old phone with it's (old SIM); service still active

Do I have to install my old SIM into the new phone, or can I initiate porting from the old phone/old SIM?

After activating your Public Mobile service, you can try your Public Mobile SIM card out to make sure that your new account/service is working.  However, other than for maybe a quick check of yor Public Mobiel services, you should re-insert your old carrier's SIM card. This is because the old carrier will send you a text message that you need to respond to that confirms for them that you really did ask for yoru number to be ported to Public Mobile.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JH_T yes you need to install the old carrier SIM to confirm the porting to complete the process.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

With you old sim on your old phone

You just need the old sim on the old phone so you can receive text from your previous provider to confirm if you are porting your line to PM, you then need to reply YES for the port to happen.

Now, with your New SIM on your new PM phone.  Wait an hour or so, you should see incoming calls coming to your new PM phone (you might need to reboot your new phone every 30 mins)

Need Help? Let's chat.