cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for texts not used

Wilmes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For 2 months I have had 40 texts listed in my usage but I have not made the texts. I don’t even know the number that it shows me texting. Any idea how I can fix this?

30 REPLIES 30

Wilmes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous I was about to tell you to head onto Netflix and watch it again, but I see it's no longer there.  Major bummer!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren:

I think I've seen it once. But I've always got a kick out that now pop culture Shirley line.

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous (It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.)  

@srlawren

I finally found your reference. 🙂

giphy

<5 mins later:>

giphy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous (It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.)  

@srlawren

I finally found your reference. 🙂

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

@srlawren, you can't make a $12.50 plan, hard enough to understand even dollar amounts and taxes around here!

@stonechucker I was going to say $15, but I thought everyone would freak out like it was armageddon, so I split the difference.  😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be the bottom dweller rate plan with enough to be interesting. Oh...you want to use icloud...yes well...tough tooties...sorry...not with this plan. So you wanna get all fancy and keep up with the Jones'. Then upgrade.

But...I chose it. I'm so far surviving with it. I like paying a minimum "monthly" fee for service. Thank you will13am. 🙂

@srlawren, you can't make a $12.50 plan, hard enough to understand even dollar amounts and taxes around here!

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:
Why not just make the plan 50 mins and unlimited texting for 12.50.  There, problem solved.

Nope. 10 bucks. Unlimited province talk/text. Pulls back Canada-wide but makes it unlimited in-province talk/text. They can already do province talk. They used to have Canada text. Surely (don't call me Shirley) they can do it. I can live with external LD and data add-ons.

Yeah I know...never gonna happen.

@Anonymous (It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.)  Province-wide text would just lead to another whole heap of problems. I'm not sure if you were around in the Canada-wide texting days, but it lead to a bunch of issues with iCloud too, because the number iCloud texts isn't in Canada, so people were getting a bunch of texts from Public Mobile (each time iCloud tried to text it's service) telling them their plan didn't cover the text they were trying to send (I forget the exact verbiage).  This lead to confusion as people weren't trying to send texts, and it was annoying to keep getting the notification.  I presonally believe this is a big part of why PM chose to drop the Canada-wide texting option and only offer Global Or Bust.  Introducing province-wide would re-introduce that problem and more.  Province-wide talk is confusing enough, understanding what happens when you're out of your home province and so on.  Doing the same with texting would be a support nightmare, IMHO.  I don't think it's worth it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:
Why not just make the plan 50 mins and unlimited texting for 12.50.  There, problem solved.

Nope. 10 bucks. Unlimited province talk/text. Pulls back Canada-wide but makes it unlimited in-province talk/text. They can already do province talk. They used to have Canada text. Surely (don't call me Shirley) they can do it. I can live with external LD and data add-ons.

Yeah I know...never gonna happen.

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am here's the thing though--we already know about this issue with iCloud and the Google Dialer.  But this information isn't widely known.  If all you've ever had was an unlimited plan before, there isn't really an expectation that you'd be aware these apps are sending texts behind the scenes as there is no visibility to it on the phone at all. 

Here's the real problem:  PM should not be offering a plan with only 50 outbound texts in 2018.  This is a ridiculous number.  If they want to offer a cheap plan with limited texts, at least make it 100 or even better 250.  I realize that no matter what the number is, people will still be shocked to see some of them disappear to a process they didn't realize was happening, but at least it would take the sting out.  But I also believe 50 is too low even without these unseen texts.  Offering metered texts at all in 2018 to me is pretty silly.  Why not just make the plan 50 mins and unlimited texting for 12.50.  There, problem solved.

I would totally agree with setting a much higher limit for text messaging for this limited usage plan.  However, we are all big boys and girls.  We ought to know exactly what we are getting into when buying this 50 minute/50 text plan.  If the uptake was low and the complaints about the number of text high, it would make Public Mobile think about such an offering.  To use goodwill to seek more usage regardless of circumstance just doesn't seem right.  Believe me, I side with the customer 100/100 times when it makes sense even in the slightest way.  Even where it doesn't make sense here, customers are free to ask.  The expectation should be that this is not an entitlement.  The way it is being preached is that is an entitlement. 

srlawren

@will13am here's the thing though--we already know about this issue with iCloud and the Google Dialer.  But this information isn't widely known.  If all you've ever had was an unlimited plan before, there isn't really an expectation that you'd be aware these apps are sending texts behind the scenes as there is no visibility to it on the phone at all. 

Here's the real problem:  PM should not be offering a plan with only 50 outbound texts in 2018.  This is a ridiculous number.  If they want to offer a cheap plan with limited texts, at least make it 100 or even better 250.  I realize that no matter what the number is, people will still be shocked to see some of them disappear to a process they didn't realize was happening, but at least it would take the sting out.  But I also believe 50 is too low even without these unseen texts.  Offering metered texts at all in 2018 to me is pretty silly.  Why not just make the plan 50 mins and unlimited texting for 12.50.  There, problem solved.

@mimmo wrote:

mods are available for everyone. I have no issue with asking of resetting sms, as they are sent without knowledge of the user.  A couple extra tickets is not going to improve reply timesnor break the camels back.

I think before that happens (asking) more info is needed from the poster.  Ie what phone, are we able to fix the sms sending issue etc, how many they have left in the cycle . 

If the poster is unable to stop the SMSes from sending then they need to change plan or accept the usage.  Else they will be needing goodwill every month.

A good idea is to post a disclaimer in the plan description stating that sms are sent automatically and how to stop them. 

Ignorantia juris non excusat.  Works for law and mobile service. 

I do recognize that customers also ask for goodwill in cases where the wrong add-on was purchased, plans were renewed immediately as opposed to future dated.  In those instances, the issue concerns navigating through the self serve portal which Public Mobile runs.  There is some tiny degree of culpability on the part of the carrier for contributing to the outcome.  Perhaps the knowledge base was not clear or the self serve portal difficult to navigate for the first time user.  A person's phone app sending out SMS has nothing to delivery of service.  It really is beyond a stretch to apply goodwill.  It really ought to be called entitlement. 

In my mind, whatever service you have, if your device is doing something that is costing you 'something', you yourself are responsible for fixing the issue to resolve it.  No one else is responsible.

If your apps phoning/texting home, figure out why to stop or continue the occurrences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

mods are available for everyone. I have no issue with asking of resetting sms, as they are sent without knowledge of the user.  A couple extra tickets is not going to improve reply timesnor break the camels back.

I think before that happens (asking) more info is needed from the poster.  Ie what phone, are we able to fix the sms sending issue etc, how many they have left in the cycle . 

If the poster is unable to stop the SMSes from sending then they need to change plan or accept the usage.  Else they will be needing goodwill every month.

A good idea is to post a disclaimer in the plan description stating that sms are sent automatically and how to stop them. 

"without knowledge of the user": But how is that Public Mobiles problem?

"how many they have left": If they've rebooted their phone for the 15th time this month and they've now used up all of their text alotment just with these background texts...again how is that Public Mobiles problem??

"needing goodwill every month": is not on. And I don't own this company. I agree though that if they just can't fathom how to stop it even though someone here graciously walks them through it step by idiot-proof step then yeah they gotta move on or live with it.

"disclaimer": 100% agree. Have you been here long? (of course I know you have) $h1t takes forever to get done around here if at all.

mimmo

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

With moderator interactions times in the many days, customers should not be encouraged to ask about something like this when it really isn't a Public Mobile problem.  It is unfortunate that apps send of text messages unbeknownst to the user. 

Not that anybody needs to care about my opinion but...

I'm kind of torn over this.

1. it's not PM's fault that phones do this so then why should they do anything for the customer anyway.

b. it seems they have done this for people and so how is it fair to newer people that they can't have the same goodwill gesture.

iii. they're so far back-logged that how proper is it to ask in the first place only to be looking for a goodwill gesture on something that isn't of their doing.

So...I don't offer the idea to the reader. I lean to 1 to avoid goodwill gestures over something that isn't their problem. Not due to back-logs. Not due to fairness.

Hmm...maybe I'm not so torn after all 🙂

Edit: Oh. And the subject line is a bit of a misnomer. One doesn't get charged per se. They just count against the limited quantity. And then it stops. No overages.

I will risk taking lumps each time this topic crops up.  I have to stay the course and not encourage build up of the long line up for goodwill that in some ways is quite the stretch.  The only basis people suggesting it is that somebody else got it before.  Goodwill by its very nature is YMMV.  It's not applied uniformly as if governed by terms of service. 

BTW, the other day, I tethered my laptop which I hadn't used in a few weeks to my phone.  Sure enough, a big windows update was delivered.  I burned nearly one gig in a relatively short session.  Entitlement would suggest I have a "fair claim" for goodwill with the moderator team.  I think I will just own up to it and accept that the usage had nothing to do with my service provider.  I could have turned on metered network but didn't, same for those who could turn off SMS permission but didn't.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wilmes, is it always the same number being texted to?

Here’s a link to another poster who was dealing with a similar issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Didn-t-send-SMS-only-received-one-but...

It’s certainly frustrating to have your texts used up, but another very real possibility is your phone, operating system, or applications ‘calling home’ and compromising your privacy. It’s always a good idea to tighten up  your privacy settings when things like this happen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

With moderator interactions times in the many days, customers should not be encouraged to ask about something like this when it really isn't a Public Mobile problem.  It is unfortunate that apps send of text messages unbeknownst to the user. 

Not that anybody needs to care about my opinion but...

I'm kind of torn over this.

1. it's not PM's fault that phones do this so then why should they do anything for the customer anyway.

b. it seems they have done this for people and so how is it fair to newer people that they can't have the same goodwill gesture.

iii. they're so far back-logged that how proper is it to ask in the first place only to be looking for a goodwill gesture on something that isn't of their doing.

So...I don't offer the idea to the reader. I lean to 1 to avoid goodwill gestures over something that isn't their problem. Not due to back-logs. Not due to fairness.

Hmm...maybe I'm not so torn after all 🙂

Edit: Oh. And the subject line is a bit of a misnomer. One doesn't get charged per se. They just count against the limited quantity. And then it stops. No overages.

@Luddite wrote:

@Wilmes wrote:

For 2 months I have had 40 texts listed in my usage but I have not made the texts. I don’t even know the number that it shows me texting. Any idea how I can fix this?

If you are on the $10 plan you need assistance from the Moderator Team to correct this, IF these are outgoing texts. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number,  last top up date & amount.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Wilmes wrote:

If you are on the $10 plan you need assistance from the Moderator Team to correct this, IF these are outgoing texts. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number,  last top up date & amount.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carld123 wrote:

Emails yes..tons..not texts...guess im lucky .lol

I can't say as I've got many if any junk texts either.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Emails yes..tons..not texts...guess im lucky .lol

Carld123

Ive NEVER had one text that i wasnt supposed to get..not at PM..or the numerous other providers ive had..just saying...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sulagok wrote:

There are too many unsolicited text flying around nowadays, thus making it really unadvisable to be on a pay per use text plan. One will probably need to just shut the sms and there’s no guarantee that the messages will still not be delivered anytime you open the sms. It’s a pain but not PM issue 

I gotta wonder what the heck the dialer needs frickin' sms for. It's a dialer!

Apple's in their own little world. I'm not touching that.

But incoming is unlimited on the $10 plan so "unsolicited text" doesn't matter.

sulagok
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are too many unsolicited text flying around nowadays, thus making it really unadvisable to be on a pay per use text plan. One will probably need to just shut the sms and there’s no guarantee that the messages will still not be delivered anytime you open the sms. It’s a pain but not PM issue 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wilmes wrote:

I gather you're on the $10 plan.

Yes. Upon initial start up with a provider and even reboots in other cases, phones send out texts all on their own in the background. This is not actually Public Mobiles fault.

iirc Android you need to turn off sms in the permissions for the dialer.

Apple...at this writing I don't recall. It has to do iMessage though.

mimmo

What phone e are you using? What is the number

Both android and iPhone send sms for verification of things. 

Carld123

You will get some links sent to make things easier shortly....but very easy to find yourself with a quick search..

Carld123

Contact a moderator.....thats pretty much your only option....if you have a genuine complaint thay will rectify it......

Need Help? Let's chat.