cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phone

makko1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1) I will be changing from a Galaxy S7 Edge to a Galaxy S21 FE ( or S21).  Does the S21 FE (or S21)  work with public mobile?

2) Am I correct in assuming that if I replace my current sim card with the new phone, the same phone number will carry over?

3) Is there anything I should be aware of and done of when changing phones?

edited by computergeek541:  corrected category label (not a question about the community site).

16 REPLIES 16

makko1

Hi @hTideGnow,

Thank you so much for your advice.
I am glad to hear that my idea is right.

I know it is best to use a cable, but it would be a waste to buy a micro to type c cable just for only one time so I decided to use Samsung Cloud.

The S21 fe I got had the first display that said "Insert sim card to use setup wizard" and I couldn't start anything without the sim card, so I had to move the sim card first, and then I could access Samsung to restore the data.

HI @makko1 

you don't need a sim card to transfer data. Best to use cable, but you can also use Samsung Cloud with Wifi

And make sure you turn off Mobile data on both phone to avoid using data to transfer by mistake

Your steps sounds right 🙂

makko1

Hi dust2dust,

I wasn't sure if I should continue with questions that are not about public mobile, but if you don't mind answering my question that would be very helpful.

I finally bought the S21FE. I tried to transfer data with Smart Switch as advised by others, but it did not work. The new phone could not be set up without a Sim card.

So I decided to restore the backed-up data to the new phone as you mentioned. Please let me check if I did it the right way. ⤵️

1) Back up the data to Samsung Cloud.
2) Transfer the Sim card from the old phone to the new phone.
3) Set up the new phone and log in to Samsung Cloud.
4) Restore the backed-up data to new phone.

makko1

Hi dust2dust,

Thank you for letting me know the info. I have to choose one of them.😆

Right, you haven't bought it yet. I have an international Samsung that works fine here. Most would. Just no volte.

makko1

I found two models of S21FE. I am not sure of the difference. Is it a single-sim or dual-sim difference? ⬇️

Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G White 128GB : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G (FE) Dual-SIM 128GB ROM + 6GB RAM Factory Unlocked 5G Android Smartphone (Whit...

I can't find any model number for S21. ⬇️

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G G9910 128GB 8GB RAM International Version - Phantom Gray : Amazon.ca: Electron...

Actually, I am torn between the S21FE because of its price and the S21 because of its camera performance.

@makko1 

We are here to help others.Great that my information helped you!

They should. Tell us the full model name like SM-...

makko1

Two phones are international versions. Do they work in Canada with Public Mobile?

makko1

Hi Priority,

Thank you for the helpful info which I didn't know. I'll try to use Smart Switch.

makko1

Hi BKNS27,

Thank you for your help! Your information is detailed and helpful which will definitely help me to change my phone.

makko1

Hi dust2dust,

Thank you for your quick response.  I can make the change with confidence.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Use Samsung Smart Switch to transfer all content and settings identically to your new Device, and than switching your SIM Card from the old phone from the new one will bring your Plan over.

No need to replace your current SIM Card as your current one will work just fine. However if you want to grab a backup they are only $4.99 on Amazon right now directly from Public Mobile.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@makko1 

1- Either one of those phones are compatible with PM. I am assuming they are Canadian version phones.

2- Yes, just pop the SIM from one phone to the other phone. Your registered account information is in the SIM.

3- When you change phones, download the Samsung Smart Switch and transfer all apps and data from the S7 to S21. I prefer using the cable to do the transfer but it can be done through WiFi before swapping the SIM over. From experience, I’ve notice some apps didn’t transfer over so you need to install the apps from the Play Store.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

1. Yes

2. Just move your existing sim card into the new phone. Yes.

3. Make sure you can get all the data that is stored in all the apps backed up and then you can restore them back.

Need Help? Let's chat.