cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed number online, can't send/receive texts or receive incoming calls.

echlon
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A few days ago I changed my number on the PM website using the change phone number option > select a new phone number. I choose my local calling area and selected a new number from the 4-5 that was generated.

The number change appeared to work fine as I was able to place an outgoing phone call and the caller ID showed up correctly on the receiving line. However, I just realized that I'm unable to send/receive text messages, nor can I receive any incoming calls.

If I try to call the new number from another line it says the number is a Rogers number (?) and the voicemail is not set up yet.

I'm not sure how this can happen when I'm an existing PM customer and selected a new number from the list PM provided me to choose from.

5 REPLIES 5

@echlon wrote:

Thanks for the replies.. moderators are looking at it, was told it is related to a number port issue and will have response within 72 hours... sounding like I probably won’t be able to keep this number and I lost my old one :(.

I believe that the moderators are misunderstanding this situation as you didn't ask to a port a number in. Unfortunately, you cannot keep a phone number that is already being used by someone else/that is no longer assigned to Telus/Public.

echlon

Thanks for the replies.. moderators are looking at it, was told it is related to a number port issue and will have response within 72 hours... sounding like I probably won’t be able to keep this number and I lost my old one :(.

@echlon wrote:

A few days ago I changed my number on the PM website using the change phone number option > select a new phone number. I choose my local calling area and selected a new number from the 4-5 that was generated.

The number change appeared to work fine as I was able to place an outgoing phone call and the caller ID showed up correctly on the receiving line. However, I just realized that I'm unable to send/receive text messages, nor can I receive any incoming calls.

If I try to call the new number from another line it says the number is a Rogers number (?) and the voicemail is not set up yet.

I'm not sure how this can happen when I'm an existing PM customer and selected a new number from the list PM provided me to choose from.

This means that while this phone number was originally allocated to Telus Mobility, it has since been transfered to Rogers Wireless.   What appears to have happened is Public Mobile assigning an already used phone number. If that's the case, you'll have to change your phone number (again).  Many years ago, Telus Mobility actually assigned my phone number to a different customer at one point for a new activation. The customer who first had the phone number keeps it and the other perosn must change the number.

echlon

I tried two different phones and rebooted and same issue.

I did use SIMon and submitted a ticket but it didn't allow me to add any comments to it. I'll try the private message as well and wait, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@echlon wrote:

Try rebooting your phone or reset network settings.

Contact a moderator for assistance.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Need Help? Let's chat.