cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Sim card

hlzhang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just bought a new phone and it is using nanoSim. my old sim card is microSim. So I just order a new Sim from public mobile and change sim in Self Serve?

13 REPLIES 13

London Drugs cut my down free. There is a tool to do it with. Free is the only price when you think of it. 

@hlzhang wrote:

Actually, mine is just one size.  I'm using PM for many years. The sim card is free that time.

Hi @hlzhang ,

Cell phone shops can cut if for you if you ask them nicely. I have had someone cut it to size for me before in the past.

But they may want a fee to do this. No harm in asking around.

@hlzhang wrote:

Actually, mine is just one size.  I'm using PM for many years. The sim card is free that time.

I kinda figured that might be the case, @hlzhang  (interesting that turned out to be the case eh @kb_mv , who knew? LOL...)

So in that case you can certainly try cutting it down to size.  There are plenty of instructional videos online on how to do this.   Heck, you could even use the sizing adapters which may be available at a mobile store as a template.   It's worth a try since the SIM card will be unusable anyway if you can't trim it correctly.

You could always pick up a 2nd Public Mobile SIM card just in case the trim-down goes awry. 

@hlzhang 

Probably easier to purchase a new SIM card. Faster to purchase in store and in your self service account, just change the SIM card number.  You could purchase online but PM shipping times are about 2-3 weeks.  Amazon will offer quicker shipping.  

Personally, I have cut down size of SIM card in the past.  If you feel comfortable in doing that.  You can print out a template.  

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hlzhang wrote:

@hlzhang hi ok if you don't want to cut your sim to size go into your self serve account and where it says change sim number put your new sim number there insert sim in new phone and you should be good to go 

hlzhang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

TheGx

@hlzhang :Alot of cell phone stores can cut your current card for free to the right size they have a tool that does it, personally I've used scissors to cut my own and it works fine - you just have to be super careful cut right size or it won't work at all.

@kb_mv 

Absolutely correct. I hope the OP did not go.

Thank you

@HALIMACS wrote:

@hlzhang wrote:

Just bought a new phone and it is using nanoSim. my old sim card is microSim. So I just order a new Sim from public mobile and change sim in Self Serve?

You DO NOT need a new SIM, @hlzhang 

Just use an adapter to custom fit it to your new device.

If you don't have one, go to a mobile store, they'll likely have many throw away adapters you can get.   If not, they'll sell you one.

@HALIMACS OP, @hlzhang  has a micro sim and new phone needs a nano sim. No need to go looking for an adapter, they need to remove the ring/adapter that is currently surrounding the nano sim.

Gunner123

@hlzhang wrote:

@hlzhang hi there should be no need to change sim those sims break into 3 pieces you should be able to use the one you have 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@hlzhang wrote:

You SHOULD NOT need a new SIM, @hlzhang 

[EDIT:  thanks,  @kb_mv 

Yes - - as previously mentioned just snap the outer adapter off the micro to get the nano sizing.

Hope it's not an older micro SIM, it may not have a removable adapter.]

Just use an adapter to custom fit it to your new device.

If you don't have one, go to a mobile store, they'll likely have many throw away adapters you can get.   If not, they'll sell you one.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@hlzhang 

You should be able to punch out the nano SIM from your micro SIM.  PM sim card actually has all three sizes.  Just need to choose the right size.  See below:Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 8.28.09 PM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.